Chapter Nine: I Understand

[Nick] Chapter Nine

The rain is pouring on my face as I run further and further into the park. Unable to catch my breath I run for a couple more seconds directly towards the gazebo. After I slow down and take a breath of cold air, resting my hands on my knees, slightly bent over, I sigh. I close my eyes for a second and before I can open them on my own, something runs into me. Once more knocking the air out of me.

Sitting on the ground, I look up and see her standing there. First fixing her sweater, and then fixing her eyes on me. 

I stroke my hand through my hair, with a sigh.

"What are you doing here Acosta?"

She stands in the rain and then shifts toward me.

"I think the question should be asked by me," she responds.

"- WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?"

I look at her expression and she looks furious.

I get up and become eye to eye with her.

"That's nothing for you to know."

I look away for a second and hear nothing but the rain falling.

Waiting for an answer, I take a glimpse at her. The furious expression is gone, although she looks hesitant to say something. But before I could ask her what she's about to say, I'm cut off.

"You know.., it's really not fair to any of us-"

Her eyes fix on the ground.

"It's not fair at all. To Dean, he's been having to stay with me and Cassidy, but he told me that's how it usually is with you. Then for Cassidy, she warned me about something like this on the first couple days I came back.  And addition to that, I can't teach my class anything, or else you won't know it. And then there's the case that my grades are suffering. Can't you think about anyone else?," her eyes hit me hard.

The tension in me starts growing. 

But all I could say back was

"it has never been fair to me."

Her eyes widen and she takes a step forward.

"Besides-," I add.

"when has someone ever thought about me."

I leave her standing there in the rain, as I start to walk back to my house. Closing my eyes, and breathing in the distinct smell of rain, I think deep to myself that nothing has changed. I haven't been to school in two days. But that's no suprise to anyone.

As I get closer to home, I feel heavy chested walking back into that house. But before I can take a deep breath, the sound of footprints lie heavy behind me. I continue to walk, and the sound grows louder. Then I stop, and the footprints stop.

"Nick I don't understand..-why do you keep saying all these things?"

"Kora, go home," I say.

"Just go home. It's raining."

"No," she replies.

"Look I'm going home. So, go home as well," I sigh.

I don't hear her respond back to I continue walking home.

Once I get to my house, I stop in front of my front door and take a deep breath.

"Why are you stopping?," her voice comes out again.

"I thought I told you to go home!," I yell.

"LOOK! I FOLLOWED YOU TO MAKE SURE YOU WERE ACTUALLY GOING HOME!," she yells back.

This girl I swear.

"Go inside," she points to the door.

I realize I'm just there staring at her in disbelief.

"Stop standing there and open the door."

I nod and with nervousness, I open the door. I think I'm lucky and that no ones home so she doesn't have to see. But yet of course I'm always unlucky and it turns out this time Chris is home, so unlucky.

Once I get inside, I look back to see if she's still in the doorway and she's gone. I let out a big sigh of relief. But it doesn't stop the normal.

"NICK WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?," he comes up to me pulling my collar of my shirt.

"ITS ALL BECAUSE OF YOU THAT DAD COULDN'T COME TO MY CONFERENCE. THAT WAS TODAY AND I'M PISSED BECAUSE OF YOU."

I stand there taking in the usual. But today it's pretty bad.

"DAMMIT NICK YOU MAKE ME SO MAD. I HATE SEEING YOUR FACE."

Wait, I'm used to this..

"SOMETIMES I REALLY THINK IT'S BETTER WITHOUT YOU."

Definitely used to this..

And it ends with a slap across the face, making me end up on my knees. Chris' eyes widen but then he ends up walking away.

Well this is a bit worse actually.

I touch my face as it stings.

Slowly trying to get up, my father enters the door. This is how it's been I should be used to it by now.

My father stares at me in disgust and passes right by me. Then he calls Chris' name and runs to him.

But it isn't me.

I slouch my shoulders and close my eyes until someones touch is on my arm.

The person sighs.

"Rob-," I say slowly.

"Nick, have you not been to school because of this...?"

I open my eyes in complete disbelief.

There's tears pouring in her eyes.

"Kora..please go home now," I find the urge to say.

"I'm sorry..I did not think you were in so much pain," she says softly.

I get up looking at her as she speaks the truth. She gets up and she looks completely devastated by my family.

I think of what to say...but it results in the same thing.

"Kora, please go home."

She looks at me depressed and then starta to walk out..but before she can leave, Rob stands at the doorway.

"Kora..what are you doing at my house?,"he questions her.

"Rob!?," her eyes become big, though still blurred with tears.

He looks at me, a shocked look on his face.

"I got slapped," I shrug.

"Kora..did you see what happened..?," he looks at me then her.

But that's when I realize that's how they know each other. She works at the studio in which Rob works at.

She nods.

But tears well up in her eyes again.

"Sorry Rob, I have to go now," she tries to rush out.

But as she's leaving she says more...

"Sorry Nick, I understand now. I understand."