4 | Encounter

"What do you mean 'alone'?! Are you out of your mind?!"

Hashirama flinches when Tobirama explodes. He couldn’t blame the younger one though. His idea does sounds ridiculous, but it’s the only resolve he could think of at the moment.

“Konoha is not yet ready for a war, Tobirama,” he reasons. He knows Tobirama understands this too, or had considered it at the very least. Still, he reminds him. “We’re still on the process of building our village and the people are just starting to get along. It’d be hard to fight in a war especially if the people are disorganized. It’d be just like sending them straight to their own graves.”

Tobirama’s face turns grim. “But you can’t go alone, anija. Let me accompany you at least.”

“Then who’s going to manage the village while I’m gone?” Hashirama asks rhetorically. “No. I’m going alone. You stay here.”

"But I can't lead the village. I'm still—"

Hashirama gently places his hands on his younger brother’s shoulders. He gives him a reassuring smile. “I know you can, Tobirama. You’re more mature than I am and your judgment is even better. You’ll be a leader just fine.”

It’s one of the rare times when Hashirama sees him slouch in defeat.

“But you still can’t go alone,” Tobirama insists. “What if you get hurt? Or—or get killed?” he says, whispering the last word as if he doesn’t want to say it. He knows his older brother is strong, but he’s not invincible.

However, his already contorted brows join further when Hashirama chuckles. “Relax, Tobirama,” he says. “It’s not said the scroll that this…Madara…has an army, right? That means he’s going alone, too. And besides, why do you think people call me ‘god of shinobi’?” Honestly, Hashirama doesn’t want to be so full of himself, but he’s hoping that saying so would put Tobirama at ease, even just a little. "You don't have to worry about me, my dear brother."

For the first time since Hashirama could recall, Tobirama has nothing to say. He takes this as an ‘alright’ from him, although there’s still that hint of worry on his face. He hugs Tobirama, who jolts but is far too used to this rather cheesy gesture of his to push him away.

Hashirama would be lying if he’d say that he’s not afraid. However, he wants to go and see this Madara in hope to find answers to his questions as his mind is in a very confused state right now.

“Say, Tobirama, who else knows about this?” he asks when he pulls away.

"Just you and me, anija."

"Good. Let's keep it that way for now, okay?"

Hashirama prepares to leave in the next early morning. He dons his battle attire and gears up with his weapons. It’s still dark outside when Tobirama walks him from their house to the southern gate of the village, where they have the least possibility to be seen. No one had seen him leave save of course for Tobirama and the two other shinobi guarding the gate.

Thinking ahead, Tobirama tells the two men their alibi to avoid suspicion. He says that the Hokage is going to Sunagakure for a meeting with the Kazekage.

But of course, his older brother’s presence, or lack thereof, would be noticed. "Where's Hashirama-dono, Tobirama-san? Did he go to his office already?" Ashina asks him during breakfast. Tobirama tells him the same alibi and he’s quite relieved when the Uzumaki seemed to believe it.

After they have eaten, Tobirama accompanied Mito and another Uzumaki—Akira, as what he recalled when Mito introduced them—as they walk the group up to the eastern gate of the village. Ashina and three other Uzumakis headed back to Uzushio. Regarding one of the agenda of the meeting they had yesterday, an investigation would be carried out by a few trusted Konoha shinobi together with Akira.

“Can I ask you a favor, Tobirama-sama?” Mito asks albeit sheepishly as the two of them are on their way to the Hokage’s office.

“Just 'Tobirama' is fine, Mito-san," Tobirama says. He’s not sure why he’s smiling though. “...and sure, what is it?"

Mito is smiling now, too. “Can I help you with your work? I can help you with anything since I have no other things to do anyway."

“I’m not sure, Mito-san. You’re our guest and you don’t have to help me with anything,” he answers timidly. It’s not like him to act like this, he’s perfectly aware but can’t help it regardless.

"Please? I insist, Tobirama-sa—Tobirama."

After giving it some thought, Tobirama thinks it wouldn’t be a problem at all—he could use some help. "...Alright. I think you could help me with some paperworks."

Mito’s face lights up upon hearing it. "Thank you, Tobirama,” she says.

"You're welcome, Mito-san."

“Just ‘Mito’ is fine,” she says, turning her head to the side and looking up at him.

"Uh, eh...You're welcome, Mito."

-----

Hashirama leaps from tree branch to another. He’s travelled for almost a whole day now, only having a few and quick stops to rest. He’s near the Valley of the End now, the place mentioned in the scroll where he and Madara is supposed to meet.

Whoever this Madara Uchiha truly is, Hashirama plans to stop him and get answers no matter what.

He arrives in said place at sunset. The fact that it’s getting dark soon is not a good sign as it is, but he decides to pay it no mind for now. He takes a look around the area and confirms that there’s no one there, yet. He walks on the solid ground beside the river that flows from the foot of the waterfall ahead.

Why is no one here? Could this be a trap?

He observes the area. If this is indeed a trap, getting away wouldn’t be so easy. He braces himself for a surprise attack.

All of a sudden, he hears a man speak behind him. He almost jumped. He didn’t sense his presence until now.

“Hashirama. You came alone, huh?” the man scoffs. “Hn. Why am I even surprised?”

Hashirama turns around and sees a raven-haired man, about his age, skin as white as milk, and wearing a blue high-collared, long sleeved mantle under a crimson armor. He carries an orange-brown gunbai on his back. His spiky long hair, which had some tint of blue in it, covers almost half of his face but one couldn’t miss the menacing smirk plastered on his face.

At this moment, a mix of strong emotions come rushing to Hashirama’s mind that he almost feels dizzy. This is the first time he’s seen this man, but his restless mind tells him otherwise.

Without him knowing, heavy tears fall down from his eyes.

-End of Chapter 4-

Aaaaand that's it for this chapter. Forgive me if it's too short, but hey, at least there's progress, right? I mean, Hashi finally saw Mads. Still, I dunno if that's what you call 'progress' 😅

Anyways, I am still skeptical about Tobirama x Mito ship. I don't know why I planned for them to get together and honestly, I'm not even sure if you guys would like it. Well, are you okay with TobiMito? Or nah? Please let me know in the comments 😊

-Cee