11 | Thoughts

A/N: Sorry, this took some time.

-----

Hashirama is standing by the window of his office. He watches as the morning sun slowly rises from the east and cold wind brushes against his face, seeping through the sleeves of his haori.

It's still too early for him to be in his office but this is better—better than to hopelessly try to get back to sleep—and he'd be more productive. At least he has finished what he wasn't able to do yesterday due to a large portion of it being occupied. Many preparations has to be done since winter is only three weeks away—they had started storing provisions and he had personally supervised and helped in the harvest.

A puff of warm breath escapes his mouth as he exhales. Maybe closing the window is the wiser thing to do, but he allows himself to revel on the cold against his skin.

These days, he couldn't really understand himself.

He hears a few knocks from the door, followed by the sound of it being opened.

"Geez, it's cold in here. Your office has a heater, you know?" Tobirama says from across the room.

Hashirama turns around. "Oh, right," he chuckles clumsily as if he only realized that now. He tries his best to discreetly close the window behind him, afraid that Tobirama will notice this too and he can't explain why if he ever asks.

"Can you please turn that thing on?" he says, retreating back to his seat by the desk, "I don't have any idea how."

This is not a lie. He honestly doesn't know how to turn it on but he didn't attempt switching it on earlier either. He himself wonders why. Maybe because it was always Tobirama or Toka who does it?

'Yeah, maybe that's why.'

Tobirama is already at the opposite side of the room and turning it on. He obviously doesn't buy that lame excuse of his, but Hashirama is thankful enough that his brother is not prying about it.

"You're early," Hashirama remarks.

"No," answers Tobirama, "you're early."

Hashirama's mouth forms an 'oh'. He momentarily shrugs and says, "Well, I figured I could get some work done before I go to Kirigakure tomorrow." He unrolls a scroll and grabs his quill.

The younger nods, but the scowl on his face is unwavering. "I still think the timing's off for that 'invitation'," he says with an emphasis on the last word.

"We've already talked about this, haven't we? They're a potential ally, we couldn't waste this opportunity. You of all people understand that, right?" he says then lifts his head up to look at his brother. "Or are you perhaps, still worried about me?"

He knows that what happened the last time he left the village still worries Tobirama. The younger's silence is a clear indication of that.

"The head of the Uchiha clan will be coming with me this time," he reminds him.

"I don't trust that Hikaku," Tobirama says bluntly, shaking his head.

"Why is that?"

Tobirama's reply comes after a while, "I don't know. Maybe because he's too...nice?"

"And that's a bad thing?"

Tobirama sighs deeply. "Sometimes it is, yes," he says, bobbing his head up and down for emphasis. "Look, anija, you're more needed here in the village. And I know I've already asked you about this before, but please, let me go instead."