5 | Chaos

Is it possible to cry upon seeing someone you don't even know?

If only his mind is not clouded with profound confusion and inexplicable sorrow right now, Hashirama would have laughed at himself. Showing this amount of vulnerability to an opponent is the biggest mistake a shinobi could do. His vision is getting blurry and he’s trying so hard to get a grip of his emotions. He has to stop crying first! He tries to tighten the grip on his sword but his trembling hands are not cooperating.

It’s as if all those pent-up feelings that stayed dormant deep inside him over the past months suddenly break loose at this exact moment—so much feelings with no memories, only emotions.

This man in front of him—Madara—called him by his first name earlier. Does that mean that he knows him? But why is it that no matter how hard Hashirama tries to remember, there's not a single one memory of him in his mind?

On the other hand, Madara is looking at him with a blank stare. If he ever is bewildered by this strange act of Hashirama's, he’s not showing it on his face.

The minute that followed felt longer for Hashirama. Silence stretches with the two of them just staring at each other’s eyes, until the Uchiha suddenly makes his battle stance.

'He’s ready to attack,' Hashirama thinks.

So he breathes out the air that’s starting to burn his lungs. He wipes the tears on his face and prepares to receive the attack.

Madara didn’t hesitate to charge at him with his full strength. Hashirama couldn't dodge it but he’s able to stop it, albeit barely, with his own sword. However, Madara’s is just too much, sending Hashirama a few feet backwards.

Madara breaks contact. He takes a step backward, only to swing his sword at him again. This time, Hashirama dodges it.

Hashirama prepares to counterattack but there’s this certain feeling that makes him hesitate halfway. On the back of his mind, he doesn't want to fight Madara. Even when the man is clearly trying to kill him with every single one of his attack.

It doesn't feel right.

Or is it only because Hashirama couldn't think straight right now?

"Are you not taking me seriously, Hashirama? I've never taken you for a coward," Madara challenges, his tone full of mockery. He tilts his head to the side before saying, "...or perhaps I was wrong?"

Hashirama couldn't help but scrunch his eyebrows. 'Just what is up with that smug attitude?!'

"Come at me with your full power! Fight me to the death, Hashirama, or your stupid little village will suffer my wrath!"

That effectively makes Hashirama focus more on the battle. His mind is still in disarray, however, so he only lets his body respond to the blows sent his way. He’s gained some sort of reflex—his body is able to fight using only muscle memory—from all those years of fighting in a war.

Soon enough, his ‘consciousness’ comes back gradually.

The sound of swords clashing engulfed the area. The sun had set a long while ago but the moon shines brightly enough to light up everything in their path. After three hours of fighting, Hashirama is able to disarm Madara, whose sword fell on the ground but isn’t unnerved by this even the slightest bit.

In the blink of an eye, he makes signs with his hands. “Katon: Goukakkyuu no Jutsu!" He aims the giant fireball right at Hashirama. Thanks to the Hashirama's quick reflexes, he reacts in time to protect himself from it with his Wood Release.

The next day came but the battle is far from over. The landscape of the area has significantly changed due to the massive and powerful jutsus each of them launched at each other. Hashirama is somehow relieved that at least Madara chose a place which is not resided by people. It would have been catastrophic if they battled in Konoha.

Hashirama has never encountered a fellow shinobi this strong before. Sure he's had tough times in battles in the past but those involved a lot of strong shinobi fighting him all at once. Right here and now, Madara is fighting him alone and Hashirama is definitely having a hard time.

It’s noon now, the sun is shining brightly high up in the sky. Beads of sweat run down from Hashirama's forehead. Panting slightly, he wipes it with the back of his hand. Fatigue slowly creeps up his body and the blazing heat isn’t helping at all. The fabric under his armor clings onto his sweaty body and the feeling is really uncomfortable, but he’s got bigger problems than that. His movements are becoming slower now and he notices that Madara's are, too.

"I see you're still in good shape, Hashirama," Madara says.

“Who are you and what do you want?" Hashirama shouts back, the first sentence he's ever said to the other since yesterday.

Surprisingly, Madara raises an eyebrow as if he’s shocked by what Hashirama had just said. There’s a look of confusion on his face and when Hashirama looks him in the eyes, the brunet finds a sign of longing in them.

Hashirama shakes his head. He himself must have been out of his mind.

“You are an Uchiha. You belong to the clan which founded Konoha with my clan. We’ve already come this far. Why are you planning to destroy it?" Hashirama barks. He can't keep the questions in his mind anymore. He wants answers.

However, Madara doesn't reply. Whatever shock or any emotion he had on his face earlier, he erases it entirely.

He charges at Hashirama again.

By late afternoon, ominous dark clouds covered the sky. It starts to rain heavily not long after.

Both their chakra reserves are almost depleted. Several wounds are on their bodies as they lay on their knees on the flooded ground, heavily panting.

Since Hasirama can self-heal, he's able to stop the bleeding from his wounds. The little amount of chakra remaining in him would be enough to protect himself in case Madara would still attack him.

However, seeing the Uchiha in his current state, Hashirama is certain that he can't fight anymore. He decides to end this once and for all. Slowly, he walks towards Madara.

"Let's stop this," he tells him, almost pleading. When Madara stays silent, Hashirama turns around to leave, but he’s not expecting that Madara would still stand up and make a hand sign.

"Did you not hear what I said earlier, Hashirama?” Madara says, clearly unfazed despite his current state. “If you don't kill me, I will attack your village."

Hashirama turns around and looks him directly in the eyes, but instead of anger or hatred, he finds something else.

Hashirama’s heart aches.

"Stop. You'll only kill yourself once you spend that little remaining chakra you have left."

But the Uchiha only ignores him and continues to charge forward. He releases his jutsu but Hashirama shields himself from it.

When everything cleared out, he immediately looks at Madara's direction. A wave of dread hits him as he sees the Uchiha slumped on the ground. He hurriedly runs to him.

"Even after all this time, you're still stronger than me, Senju," Madara whispers almost inaudibly but there’s a mischievous smirk on his lips before his eyes shut.

-End of Chapter 5-

I don't know what happened with this one, really. I struggled writing this 'coz it's so hard writing a fight scene. So, sorry if this is shitty. Anyways, that's all for this chapter ^^

-Cee