15 | Guilt

A/N: Hi there! It's been a while (≧▽≦)

-----

For a man of knowledge like Tobirama, there's nothing more frustrating than being this close to finding a solution and being stuck in what seems to be a dead-end. But time is of the essence, especially now that Hashirama needs the jutsu more than ever, so there's not a single moment to waste in moping or even taking a short break to rest.

Thanks to the classes being temporarily suspended due to the season, he and Mito have more time to work on the jutsu. However, it's nearly been a month since they reached the final stages of the research but they're still unable to perfect it. Tobirama doesn’t know which part exactly they’re doing wrong and it seems that he's not the only one who has observed this.

"I think we're missing something out." Mito's full attention is fixed on the scrolls before her as she thinks out loud. She's standing by the long table at the center of Tobirama's lab room, composing and writing different combinations of seal formulas in said scrolls.

Tobirama pauses from his task, which is testing out the seal formulas that she's written, and lifts his head up. "Yeah, I've been thinking about that, too," he sighs. "Thing is, I couldn't determine exactly what it is, but I'm quite sure we're getting close to the correct formula."

"I wonder what could it be?" Mito puts down the brush she's using to write in order to straighten her back that has become stiff due to extended hours of writing.

It's already past midnight now, Tobirama learns by taking a glance at the window. "You should rest now, Mito," he tells her considerately.

He understands that Mito wants to help him, but it won't do her any good if she tires herself further. Besides, Mito is supposed to be their guest, isn't she? It's not her obligation to help him at all and it wasn't Tobirama's intention to keep her working with him until this late at night either.

However, Mito shakes her head. "No, I can still—" she says but is cut off midway when she yawns rather involuntarily. She immediately covers her mouth and blinks in an attempt to bring back her senses.

"Sorry. I can still go on," she says, more firmly now.

"We'll continue this tomorrow, Mito. If anything, I should be the one apologizing. I'm sorry I didn't notice the time."

Mito contemplates for a short while, then she nods, but it can be seen in her expression that she's still hesitating. Tobirama doesn't wait for her answer though. He sets the scrolls aside and then fetches his fur collar from the rack by the door. He also brings Mito's wool gloves with him and hands them to her as he goes to her side.

Realizing that Tobirama won’t listen even if she refuses, she thanks him and gently accepts the gloves.

Tobirama's lab room is located in a secluded area for security purposes—mainly for the safety of the people of the village since the lab room is where he invents new jutsu and accidents could happen in the process—and for secrecy as well.

"Aren't you cold, Mito?" Tobirama asks when he notices the tinge of red on Mito's nose as they're walking home.

Winter brings with it colder days and even colder nights. It's not snowing tonight but it's still cold as it is. Although Mito is wearing a kimono made from thicker and warmer material for winter, it's obvious that she's shivering. Still, she shakes her head as an answer.

"Wait a second." Tobirama suddenly halts and motions her to stop, too. Mito looks up at him in confusion, but he says nothing. Instead, he takes off his fur collar and carefully puts it around her neck.