Romantic Panic

Soulmate AU where you are able to tell if your soulmate is in distress, credit to whoever made this because yeah I didn't come up with this. Also this is a drabble because I'm lazy sorry bros.

Yeah this is Darryl angst - sorry...JK I will never stop with the AngstBoyHalo.

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Panic Attack, very poorly written panic attack.

Zak sat in his chair, iconic blue headphones sat atop his head above his shaggy black hair - the monitor illuminated against the stainless metal of the headphones.

Suddenly, his senses heightened - his soulmate was in distress. He huffed out a nervous breath and attempted to not worry - which started to become increasingly hard as his soulmate panicked more.

'Don't panic Zak, your soulmate will sense that and panic even more' he thought to himself, rubbing his forehead and trying to preoccupy himself with something to distract from the gnawing worry for his fated's terror-stricken state.

Catching sight of his phone, he idly turned it on - his hands unconsciously found their way to Darryl's contact information and without even realising it, he heard the familiar ring of the ongoing call.

After a few seconds, Darryl picked up - a tense silence filled the air as both males kept their mouths sealed. Darryl suddenly let out an unsteady, shallow breath.

"H-hi Zak, uhm n-now isn't a g-good time I'm- uh, yeah I-, I'm gonna go," The black cladded-male stuttered out. Zak silently noted the seemingly random pique of stress he was being notified of from his soulmate as the other spoke.

"No, no no no no - wait," Zak spoke desperately just before Darryl had the chance to decline the call. He took a deep breath, before opening his mouth to speak, "Are you okay?"

The only sound that was heard was Darryl's unusually fast intakes of breath - before he sucked in a gulp of air and regarded the dark-haired male's question.

"N-no. My to heart is hammering and I'm shaking so much and I'm panicki-" He cut himself off with the rough movement of a hand covering his mouth - Zak diligently caught the desperate inflection embedded in his tone as he rambled in his delirious state.

"Shh, shh - it's alright, I'm here, okay?" Zak whispered in a soothing voice as he quickly looked up 'How to help someone during a panic attack?' on his phone. Darryl quietly whimpered on the other side of the line as Zak attempted to help him amidst his fear.

"Ok, ok - that's good, you're doing good. Focus on your breathing," Zak replied back encouragingly, listening as Darryl's hyperventilating began to slow down back to normal breathing rate. As the situation began to calm down, Zak took notice of his soulmate's panic; it had decreased.

...

'What if...'

...

"O-ok, I think I'm okay, I'm okay," Darryl muttered under his breath, his slowly steadying breaths were heard distantly on the phone, Zak huffed a sigh of relief and let himself sag in his chair.