The Calm Before the Storm

After Burr had calmed down completely and accepted the fiasco he had been thrown into, another thing crept into his mind; how was Hamilton so unbelievably calm? He tried to come with reasons so he wouldn't think about it, but nothing made sense. And aside from the people they woke up to talking about the situation and Hamilton turning the pages of a book he seemed deeply engrossed in, the room was oddly silent, which was usually a relief; however, with Hamilton here, the quiet was becoming unsettling. Finally, he decided it was time to confront him.

Before he even said a word, Hamilton acknowledged his presence. "Have you finally come out of your panic, Burr?" he rhetorically questioned.

"For the most part, yes," he answered, wondering how he would ease both of them into the conversation he wanted to have.

Their thoughts, for some unknown reason, seemed to sync up the minute they made eye contact. For what seemed like an hour they marvelled at how different the bodies they inhabited were from their own. There was a hint of discomfort in Hamilton's eyes; for what exactly, Burr couldn't be sure.

"What are you reading?" he asked, trying to clear the tension in the atmosphere.

"Well, it may seem a bit egotistical, but I found this biography of my life and it piqued my interest." Hamilton's expression lit up in a way it only did when he was passionate. "Vanessa insisted that I avoid anything unfamiliar, but I feel that if I know what lies ahead I will better be able to prevent any mistakes I would have made without such comprehensive foresight."

"Do you not feel that you're being a bit too calm about all of this?" Burr asked, not only to prevent Hamilton from going into one of his trademark tangents but also to distract himself from the confusion he felt when faced with such an idea as that.

"Possibly," Hamilton replied, a tinge of nervousness in his voice. "But it's an improvement from following your lead and wallowing in fear in a corner."

"Hamilton, now is not the time for your witty remarks. There is no plausible way you could truly be this relaxed."

"Perhaps it is simply in my nature." He was clearly avoiding a problem; typical for him. Outside of political matters he never really spoke about how he felt. Usually, Burr could tolerate it, but this was not a situation in which he could.

"I know your nature, Alexander. This certainly isn't part of-"

"No, you don't!" The firey expression wasn't as intense in this body, but his voice made up for it in full. Burr could sense the rage building up in him, but he paid no mind to it. His main goal was to bring a familiar Hamilton back to the frontlines, and as far as he was concerned he was successful.

Hamilton sighed, the anger in his eyes fading almost as soon as it came and a rare sort of compassion took over. "I apologize, I shouldn't have become so violent. I know you're just worried. I simply feel that if we are to be stuck here for a while we should, at the very least, try to acclimate. Do you understand?"

Though he wasn't fully content with the answer, Burr simply nodded in agreement. He felt that if he continued to push he would only edge Hamilton closer to the dangerous outburst he was sure to have if he didn't stop himself.

~~~~

Chris was the first to volunteer to find Lin, and Leslie did shortly after. The others, while just as concerned, thought it would be best to stay behind and continue to search for solutions on how to get back.

Eventually, while walking down the hall, they passed a bathroom in which they heard faint yet rapid breathing. Leslie opened the door to find Lin curled up in a corner, his small frame trembling as he held his head in his hands, similar to how one would if they were having a migraine. His eyes were glued to the mirror as if he had seen something horrible in it.

"Lin! What's happening? Are you alright?" Chris questioned anxiously.

Leslie kneeled down beside his panicked friend, gently trying to calm him down. He had never seen anyone so distraught, and Hamilton's small and frail physique didn't help lessen the worry and pity he felt for him.

"Ok Lin, just try to focus on me," he said in an effort to help ground him. Lin shot his horrified gaze directly at him the second he finished speaking. His eyes were wide and bloodshot and his tears looked like a river streaming down his face. He tried to speak but the few incoherent words he got out were cut of by Leslie.

"Not now, Lin. Right now I want you to breathe." They went through breathing exercises until Lin finally started breathing at a normal enough pace. Chris also followed, for his worry for Lin worked him up into panic as well.

"Can you talk normally now?" Leslie asked.

"Yeah," Lin answered after a pause, his voice meek and shaky.

"So can you tell us what happened?" Chris inquired, though it sounded a bit more like a command than he meant it to.

Lin took a deep, trembling breath as of f he was preparing for a difficult performance.

"I felt panicked while you were talking about the possibility of getting back home," a pause, another breath, "so I walked out to try and regain composure. I found this bathroom, walked in for privacy, took a quick look in the mirror and-" Lin glanced at the mirror and almost immediately his eyes widened again and he froze up entirely.

  Chris called his name and Leslie tried to shake him out of his trace, to no avail.

A/N
So this took forever. I had a surgery that I'm currently going to physical therapy to recover from, a loss of motivation, other projects to work on, and school so that took up quite a bit of time and mental energy. Sorry it took so long to update, I'll try to write sooner, but I can't promise anything rn. Hope you understand.

*Disclaimer* This is my personal interpretation of these people, not how I think they actually act IRL. Anything written down here is completely fictional.