Chapter Twenty-Four

Your match didn't last for long. You were able to catch most of the bullets in orbs of water. One did hit your arm, leaving a painful bruise, but other than that you were pretty successful. Most of the early matches were quickly over and done with. Tetsutetsu was lured into Shinso's trap. Mineta ran outside of the ring and the sight of a fired up Bakugo. Whilst Monoma had copied Kirishima's quirk, Kiri was the most experienced at using it. Iida had rushed Momo before she was ready, and Ochaco lost after Midoriya used her floating to his advantage. You felt bad that they had to fight - neither seemed to enjoy it. If you were to fight Shoto, you would hate it too.

The matches continued, before finally, the match board flashed up again. The matches were already set to go - and you were ready to fight. However, you felt down as you realised who you were fighting. Shoto, who was standing next to you, seemed to notice the moment you did. You knew it would happen eventually. 

"Is everyone ready for the first match?!"

Cheers rung out from the stands. You and Shoto walked down to where the tunnels seperated. You noticed a dark look on Shoto's face. He began to speak.

"(Y/N)... I'm not going to hold back."

You grinned.

"Good - I'd be angry if you did. I want to have a fair match - that way, we both feel satisfied. I want you to go for victory!"

He noticed something. He loved your smile - the way it spread to your eyes, and how it always seemed to make him feel warm inside. And that wasn't the only thing. He adored everything about you. How your eyes sparkled when you were excited. How you relaxed so easily, feeling at home. Everything about you was perfect... 

He shook his head. This was the worst time to realise his feelings. He had to win the fight, and prove to Endeavour that he didn't need him. Prove his spite towards him. He watched you go, feeling bad about having to fight you. He was going to win.

You gritted your teeth. You didn't want to fight Shoto at all. But, even though you liked him, you had to defeat him. You were going to win the whole sports festival. 

And so, you stood in the tunnel, a faint silhouette of Shoto in the distance. You clasped your fists, listening intently to the announcement. In moments, you would be fighting him. Suddenly, Present Mic's voice rung out "GO!". A cold feeling quickly shot through you, as you were encased in ice, your face protruding. You had only seconds before you lost...

You quickly acted, absorbing the water from the ice. You used high-pressure water to reduce the ice to nothing. You quickly jumped, ignoring the ice reaching up to your feet. You shot behind Shoto,  launching water at him, sending him several metres forward. It wasn't enough to get him out of the ring, but now you had ice on your leg. You were stuck, mid-air. You hacked at it with short, quick blasts of water. Just as the countdown reach one, you shattered the pieces, landing tiredly on the ground. That's when you hatched your plan.

You fought Shoto for another minute, slowly edging to the side. If you timed this wrong, you'd be the one losing. Suddenly, you dropped to the floor like a ragdoll. You were prepared. The change of light from your eyelids meant you knew when Shoto was next to you - most likely concerned - and kicked your legs upwards, throwing him outside of the ring.

You sighed, and walked over to him as cheers rang out. You felt mean for what you had done, but you and him were rather evenly matched... You extended a hand, which Shoto glaringly took as he stood. You smiled, and Shoto turned his head to hide his own, which always seemed to appear when yours did. You heard him mutter a quiet "congrats..." before you walked off to the stands. You were ready. In ten minutes, you'd be facing Bakugo. The announcer crackled to static, before everyone screamed.

Cracks were appearing in the stands, and you turned to Shoto, who was extending his hand over a wide gap, before everything went black.

In case you didn't see the new summary, this book is now on Tuesday updates so I can get them out at a regular rate. Arigato!