Chapter 1

AN: So this is loosely based on the TV show New Girl. Like I draw inspiration from like the first three episodes and that's it but even then things happen a little differently. I'm pretty excited how things are gonna go so I hope you enjoy this first chapter!

~&~

"Anyone home?!" Katherine called out as she sat down her suitcase. She had gotten home earlier than expected, so she decided to surprise her family. She would tell them over dinner that she had quit her position at the Chicago Tribune she had landed after college. She had been stuck in the entertainment section for years now and her editor wouldn't let her break out. All of her ideas had been given to others deemed more important than her. She was tired of it.

"Katherine, darling, we weren't expecting you." Her father said, appearing at the top of the stairs, wrapping his robe around him.

"I know. I should have called. I'll explain over dinner. Is mom around?" She asked, taking off her jacket.

"She's visiting with your aunt. Why don't you get unpacked and we'll catch up, hmm?"

Just then a woman, dressed in her mother's robe, who definitely wasn't her mother appeared behind her father. In fact Katherine knew the woman. It was her father's personal assistant.

Anger boiled in the young woman's veins as she backed away from the stairs. "You sure she's just visiting?" Accusation dripped from her voice.

Joe turned to see Abigail behind him. He sighed before turning to race after his daughter. "Katherine, wait!"

She turned her fiery glare towards her father. "You can explain?! I've talked to both you and mom every day recently and neither one of you brought this up. How long has this been going on?"

"The affair or your mother staying with your aunt?" He asked.

Katherine scoffed. "I can't believe you even have to ask that!"

"Please, let's talk about this over diner." He really hated the look his daughter was giving him. It reminded him of the look her mother gave him when she found out.

"No. I don't think I could ever hear why you would do this to mom. And I can't even believe she hasn't told me about this. I don't think I could talk to you both right now. I'll go stay with a friend. I clearly don't have a home to come back to." She marched out the front door, slamming the door behind her.

"And that's why I've been crashing on my friend's couch lately but I'm starting to cramp his style so then I found you guys, although I gotta admit, I wasn't expecting three guys."

"Charlie's been working on his descriptive words." Tony teased his friend, nudging the other boy with his elbow.

"Yeah, and your story was great and al but you do have a job now, right?" Jack asked, leaning forward. Her story didn't exactly answer their question about if she had a pet but she spun her story in how her father was a dog and he found it pretty clever.

"Not yet. I've got an interview with The Sun next week but I've got enough in savings and have been doing enough free lance stuff that I could cover the next few months expenses." She reassured them.

The boys nodded in unison. She didn't seem too crazy, she was definitely a little over dressed for a roommate interview with her blazer and slacks but she hadn't said anything that gave them any warning bells.

"Alright, fellas, what'd ya think?" Jack asked them once the three boys were all in the shared bathroom in the loft.

"I like her. I mean sure she's clearly still angry but I don't think she'd take that anger out on us." Charlie said, leaning against the sink.