Chapter 8

A bang. A shriek. A pillow being thrown and missing its intended target completely. "Darcy, what the hell are you doing here?" Katherine clutched her sheet to her chest, still trying to get her breathing under control even if the look she gave her best friend could have easily killed him if looks did that sort of thing.

"I spent the night, but that's besides the point." He grabbed the pillow from a bewildered Jack and closed the door to Katherine's room before sitting on his best friend's bed. "Last night this Robin Hood character robbed me. $2,500 was donated to The Trevor Project in my name."

"You don't sound too upset despite your rude entrance."

Darcy sighed, rubbing a hand over his face. "How am I supposed to be upset about that? It's a great organization." He flopped over with a groan, resting his head in her lap. "It's just that much money coming out of my dad's account wouldn't even do any damage. Mine on the other hand, that's my rent. I'm an editor at a small magazine, far away from The Tribune, one that could have used the talented writer, Katherine Plumber when she moved back to New York but she wanted to do things her way. I don't have my father's salary."

Katherine began running her fingers through his hair. "I'm gonna figure this out, Darcy. I promise and if you need any help around the time bills start needing to be paid, I'd be more than happy to help."

"Thanks, Kath. You know you're the best, right?" He smiled up at her.

She returned his smile with a smirk. "So I've been told."

They both laughed as Darcy sat up. "Hey, Darce. Why do you think they would have chosen this particular organization?"

Darcy shrugged as he opened her bedroom door. "Maybe because they know I started dating Romeo? You think that could lead to something?"

She hummed in thought, nodding her head. "Yeah, I do. I mean it certainly narrows down the list. Could you write me a list of who knows?"

He nodded. "Yeah, sure. It's kind of short though."

Katherine just grinned. "Even better."

"Well, if it isn't Mr. Morris." The portly man that had been following Katherine sneered one afternoon. "Who else is up there corrupting the heiress of The World? Besides Kelly?" He was leaning against the building, arms crossed and just as vile as the day Charlie had met him.

Charlie tried his best to stand as tall as he could in the presence of the man that had tormented he and his friends for most of their life. "A Pulitzer ain't living with us. Being inside of the system you used to work for musta really done you in. A Pulitzer in lower Manhattan. Don't make me laugh, Snyder."

The older man chuckled. "That's right, she's going by Plumber now. You didn't answer my question though, Morris."

He was surprised his crutch didn't fall. Katherine was a Pulitzer? He knew she was from the Upper East Side but a Pulitzer? There was no way. He couldn't believe it. "I don't have to anymore. Now leave before I call the cops." Charlie threatened, trying so hard to remain brave in front of Snyder.

"Get Miss Pulitzer to go back where she belongs and you won't ever have to see me again." Snyder pushed off from the wall and began to walk across the street.

Charlie didn't stick around to watch. He went as fast as he could inside. Oh he hoped that Jack was home. They had to get Katherine out of there and fast.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, Charlie. What're you talking about? We can't kick Kath out. We can't afford this place without her and I sure as hell ain't gonna eat the breaking the lease fee." Jack stared at his best friend, confused. He knew he had his apprehensions to their new roommate before but this was just a whole other level.