Chapter 3

Jack woke with a start, limbs flailing as he tried to sit up as quick as he could. He tossed the throw pillow he was cuddled up to on the couch during his afternoon nap. Crutchie came out from the kitchen, eyes wide, wondering why the door slammed with such force it practically shook the apartment. Romeo rushed out, towel wrapped around his hips, hair wet from his shower. "What the hell was that?" He asked, before he turned his gaze to where the other boys were looking.

Against the door, sitting on the floor with knees pulled up to her chest, Katherine sat looking disheveled. Her shirt was hanging off her shoulder, hair all out of place, eyes wide and it looked like she so desperately wanted to turn in on herself. Her lips moved as she mumbled something frantic.

"Charlie, make some hot cocoa. Romeo, go get some clothes on." Jack ordered as he jumped up from his seat and rushed to Katherine's side. He slowed his steps as he got closer, holding his hands out so he wouldn't spook her even more. "Hey, Katherine. What happened, huh? I thought you said you were cut out for this side of the city." He hoped that teasing her a little would help break her out of whatever it was that she was in.

Her head jerked to where Jack was crouched in front of her. Realizing just how close he was, she brought her knees in closer, bumping her head against the door as she moved back. "Hey, hey, hey. It's just me. Give me your hands. Let's get you to the couch. Charlie's making you some hot cocoa and Romeo's getting dressed so he don't bother you." He said, slowly standing and offering out his hands.

Katherine nodded, lowering her legs at first and then grabbing onto Jack's outstretched hands. He helped her up and she was soon clinging to him. Something inside him stirred, wanting nothing more than to go out to beat down whatever had spooked this brave girl.

Once she was seated, he wrapped a blanket around her shoulders just as Charlie came over with the hot chocolate, whip cream stacked high looking like something right out of the coffee shop he worked at to get through school. Jack thanked Charlie and handed the mug to Katherine.

By that time Romeo came out, fully dressed but hair still damp from his shower. Charlie had sat down on the other side of the sectional to give Katherine plenty of space. Romeo chose to sit next to him and Jack set on the table in front of their spooked roommate. "Have we figured out what happened yet?" Romeo asked, watching like the others as Katherine hesitantly brought the mug up to her lips.

Charlie shook his head, turning his focus onto Jack. He was already weary of his friend falling for their newest roommate. Her clinging to him the way she had certainly wasn't helping either. Even if he thought she was a good person, her coming from the upper east side made him weary. Most of the girls from that neighborhood wouldn't even bat an eyelash in their direction let alone live with them. She could be up to something, playing a game with the little people to get a laugh. He just didn't want Jack's heart to get broken again because then he really may go out to Santa Fe.

"Geese are vicious. I thought Canada was supposed to be nice but their geese are the meanest creatures I've ever met." Katherine whispered to Jack.

He wanted to laugh so bad but he couldn't. She was serious and he didn't want to deal with a mad Katherine, especially when she had a hot beverage in her hand. "So all of this over some geese?" He asked, eyebrow raised.

Romeo snickered, earning him a glare from Katherine and a nudge from Charlie. She then looked down into the mug. In that moment she looked so small and Jack scooted closer to the edge of the table, hands reaching out for her. Charlie cleared his throat, bringing some awareness to Jack who lowered his hands and sat back a little. "No, well yes, but not all of it."

She had just finished waving her mother goodbye, watching as the older woman rode off in a cab. They had reconciled mostly from the unspoken of divorce. It was easier to forgive her mother, after all. Kate had tried to get Katherine to move in with her but they had compromised to weekly Saturday lunches.