Chapter 7

The show was a revival but Katherine couldn't for the life of her figure out why someone wanted to revive it. The set and costumes were gorgeous. The actors were even doing the best they could with what they had been given. The plot and the music just didn't mesh well. The drama unfolding felt out of place with the more popular style music. It felt like she should be watching an opera instead of a Broadway musical.

Jack had long checked out, now focusing his attention on other audience members since he had already filled the pages of his playbill with drawings. He was currently playing a game of how many phones he could see. When he got to fifteen he grew bored and once more turned to Katherine.

He had done this twice already and twice she had rejected his offer of leaving. This was either going to be third time's the charm or three strikes and he was out. Well at least until intermission but honestly how could it not be intermission yet? "Katherine?" He whispered, chuckling when he saw in large, looping letters the word again followed by three question marks and underlined three times next to the character's name that was part narrator, part comic relief.

"Jack, I already told you, it's rude to leave in the middle of a performance." She whispered back, flipping to a new page.

"But you're not even enjoying it. We could be doing something ten times more fun than watching this. Don't you have enough to write your review?"

Katherine sighed. "We'll go at intermission."

That should have been enough for Jack but this show was torture. He couldn't even properly enjoy the set. He pointed over to the box next to them. "C'mon, ace. That reporter is on his phone and the one next to him is asleep. No one will know."

She looked over to her fellow reporters and then at the audience. There were a handful that seemed entranced by what was happening on the stage but most were fidgeting. She made one last note about what she observed and then nodded towards Jack. "Okay, let's go."

He beamed as he lead them out of the theatre. Once on the street, Katherine placed her notebook and pen into her coat pocket and looked towards Jack. "So, what do you have in mind?"

Jack just smiled and motioned to her as he began walking backwards. "Follow me."

Katherine gave him a look but followed after him anyway. As they got closer to their destination, she was glad she had worn wedges instead of heels. While it was still difficult to navigate the shore of the lake in Central Park, it would have been an absolute nightmare in the heels she originally contemplated wearing tonight. "Jack, what on earth are you doing?"

His phone light that had help illuminate their path was now being used as a search light. "Trying to find the perfect rock." He explained, picking one up and looking it over before tossing it back to the ground.

"I never pegged you as a rock collector." She said as she continued to watch him in his hunt.

"It's not for collecting, princess, it's for skipping." He picked up another rock, smiling when it was exactly the type he was looking for.

"Oh."

Jack looked over to Katherine, shining his light towards her as she toed at the dirt. "Katherine?"

"Hmm?" She didn't look up. The ground was far more fascinating.

"Have you never skipped rocks before?"

She shook her head, finally looking up at him. There was a moment of disbelief before a grin broke out over his features. "Well, then it's your lucky day. I happen to be a record holding rock skipper. No one's been able to beat my five skips."