Chapter 21

They were too late. It was a mere second's difference, yet it seemed to rock their worlds and change the entirety of fate in that moment's notice. Everything that was meant to happen had faded to dust, while new possibilities and paths opened, all with the possibility of death and agony.

There were no two ways to it.

Reverse cradled the lifeless body of his brother in his chest, the unmoving corpse cold, silent, and soundless. Tears streamed from his eyes, droplets falling onto his still-albino brother's cheeks, but there was no miracle. Nothing can save them now. Boboiboy had died once, and there was no bringing him back.

"I'm sorry..." Reverse croaked, back hunching even lower. "I should have been there..."

Fang stood by the cell's doors, his silhouette brimmed by the light outside. He was frozen like a statue, only able to stare at the two before him. The broken forms of his friends; one permanently gone, and the other mourning over the lost.

They were too late.

TAPOPS had ordered for his execution earlier than any of them had expected. At least Boboiboy had the comfort of a painless death—stopping his heart with a simple electric shock, just long enough for his brain to die, and killing the rest of his body with it. That piece of comfort was as good as none. They'd lost him once, and they had lost him again.

Fang's head was hung low, his lip pursed. Emotions were overwhelming his entire being. Sure, Boboiboy's hands weren't the cleanest, but did they really have to kill a teenager who barely reached past his sixteenth? Even criminals like Vargoba was still remaining in custody, forever trapped and put in isolation, but he was alive.

His view on TAPOPS had shifted, and he wasn't certain whether it was for the best or for the worst. The hum of the station suddenly seemed so threatening, so cold.

"We have to get out of here," Fang whispered, his hands hanging limply by his sides. "They'll catch us soon enough."

Reverse's body tensed, his jaw clenching. Even with Boboiboy's caramel hair and eyes, he seemed so deadly and angry, with no regard of any outcome that may occur.

"I'm going to kill everyone in this miserable station," he growled, voice cracking, but the venom in his words were all the same. "I'll blow that fucking admiral up—I'll replace the oxygen with acid—no, I'll—I—"

He broke down, unable to continue his threats. He pressed his head against Boboiboy's dormant chest, hands clutching his jacket, screaming in frustration and anger.

The alien fell silent, his vision turning moist. He was trying to hold it together, to be the voice of reason, but he was failing. Reverse was as much as a friend to him as much as Boboiboy, even if their personalities were wayward and diverse, their goals were the same.

His anger deflated, which was replaced by despondence and apathy. Reverse wasn't wrong to be cursing upon this organization—he'd do the same. He would rip this place apart piece by piece, with his bare hands, if he was capable.

"Get him to the ship," Fang whispered. "I'm with you. I'll get revenge for him, and you."

Reverse either didn't hear him or didn't care. He held his upper body up with his hands, his head hung low and he stared at god knows what, his body still.

The footsteps were approaching. They had to go now.

Fang whirled around as the cocks of guns echoed through the metal cell, followed by a sickening crunch of bone and the bursting of blood vessels. He turned just in time as the guards' blood splattered onto his face, the guards' bodies collapsing to the floor, their skulls completely shattered, and their heads a mess of bone and blood.