Chapter 39

Third POV

[I just stared at Mr. Nakano. How could I answer this question? I was taught that "honesty was the best policy." So that's what I went with]

Third: I have to be honest, Mr. Nakano. I haven't officially proposed to any of them.

Mr. Nakano: You haven't?

Third: No. I met these girls years ago and I promised each one that I would marry them.

Mr. Nakano: YOU DID WHAT!

Nino: Father, hear him out!

Third: They all looked the same back then. I couldn't tell the difference so it was an honest mistake.

Mr. Nakano: So all of this was a false alarm?

Third: I'm afraid so.

[I held my breath along with the Nakano sisters. What was he going to say next?]

Mr. Nakano: You made a promise to each of them and you're doing your best not to hut any of them. You got guts, kid. I admire that. So why don't you marry all of them?

Third: Sir, that scenario isn't allowed in Japan.

Mr. Nakano: That is true but I'm sure you'll find a way. I mean, you fooled everyone at the party.

Third: How do you know about that?

[Yotsuba whistles to herself]

Yotsuba: That may have been me.

Itsuki: Yotsuba!

Yotsuba: Hey! I didn't get to dance with him like you all did.

Mr. Nakano: This is what we'll do. Have you planned to propose to one of them at least?

Third: Yes.

Mr. Nakano: Well, propose to each one in your own way. We'll figure out the marriage thing out later. I mean, you're still in high school. Things like this shouldn't be rushed.

Nino: So, all of us will be engaged to Third?

Mr. Nakano: That's what you want isn't it?

Father: Why couldn't you choose just one, Third?

Third: Because each one means so much to me. I can't just choose one. I want to make all of them happy. They deserve it. Each one of them.

Mother: Our son really is growing up. He's gone from being a video game fanatic to caring about others.

Third: What's that supposed to mean?

Father: You've grown up so much. I'm sure Sixth would be...

Third: Do NOT bring her up!

Father: Son, you have to get over this. It wasn't your fault.

Third: IT WAS MY FAULT! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND! I TOLD HER TO DIE AND SHE DID! I CAN'T TAKE BACK WHAT I DID!

3rd Person POV

[Third got up from the table and left. One by one the sisters excused themselves]

Ichika/Nino/Miku/Itsuki: I'm going after him.

Yotsuba: I should go too.

[The sisters left the table]

Father: That experiment failed.

Mr. Nakano: That was an experiment?

Father: He's always been very sensitive about the topic. I was hoping the true girl would distinguish herself and go after him. I guess they all love him.

Mother: Sixth meant everything to him. I guess now isn't the time to reveal the truth of what really happened.

[A young girl walked and sat down at the table. She looked like a female Third]

???: You told me that we would ease him into it. Why did you pull that stunt?

Father: Sixth, it was a judgement call.

Sixth: I'm alive, dad! He's been blaming himself for years! How was that going to ease him into it?

Mother: I'm sure your father had his reasons.

Sixth: I'm not hiding in the shadows anymore. I've been watching him this whole time. I'm so proud of him. I'm letting him now that I'm alive.

Father: Don't think that we don't know what you're doing.

Sixth: And what is that?

Father: You want Third for yourself.

Sixth: That ridiculous. I'm his sister.

Father: You're not. You were never really apart of the family. Why do you think your last name is different? You are the daughter of a girl I had an affair with. You were born the same day the boys were. We kept you all together for the sake of everything. You know that you're not really related!

[Sixth looked down and saw a ring one her finger]

Sixth: I will make him remember. None of those sisters deserve him. It might have been an affair and might have been an arranged marriage but I will make him remember.

[Sixth stands up and looks everyone at the table in the eye]

Sixth: THAT THIRD IS MINE! NO ONE WILL TAKE AWAY WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY MINE!

[Sixth leaves the table and walks away]

Mr. Nakano: An arranged marriage?

Father: I made mistakes. It was going to solve everything. Her mother died though before anything could be done so the promise fell to the side. Sixth never forgot after I told her.

Mr. Nakano: Why keep her being alive a secret?

Mother: Third was in a very dark place. We did it to protect his sanity.

Mr. Nakano: You made some mistakes there.

Mother: Nothing we can do about it now.

[Meanwhile, Third is being comforted by the Nakano sisters]

Ichika: It's going to be okay.

Nino: We're here for you.

Miku: We aren't going anywhere.

Itsuki: No place we rather be.

Yotsuba: That was what friends are for!

Third: Thanks, girls. I knew that I could count on you. I'm sorry that I still can't choose one of you.

Ichika: Don't worry about it. We knew this would probably happen so we came up with some ideas. You don't worry about it. You buy those rings and propose and we'll handle the rest.

Miku: You just have to trust us, Third.

Third: Why do I think that things are about to get a lot more complicated?

[A voice is heard and figure walks forward]

???: Because they are about to be.

[Sixth walks forward. Third falls to his knees]

Third: No. Impossible.

Miku: Who is that?

Third: She's...

Sixth: I am Sixth. Better yet...I'm Third's betrothed.

Nakano Sisters: WHAT!

[Miku saw the disbelief in Third's eyes. She wrapped her arm around him]

Itsuki: What do you mean betrothed? Third, did you know about this?

Third: I did...but I thought she was dead and forgot about it.

[Third stands up and faces Sixth. They just stared at each other in silence]

Third/Sixth: Dad has some explaining to do.