Chapter 20 (The Finale Of Season Two!)

Lupus

It had been two hours since the ground shook with malicious glee. Lupus laid in his bunk, deciding he needed to resort to an old hobby of his.

So there he was, playing the guitar and softly humming. The song he played was one of those you couldn't just describe, because it had to be heard. It's beauty wasn't that of words, but of a melody played by ear.

His talons ran across the strings, strumming out the melody. The cold, but comforting sound of the chorus filled the room, and as Lupus strummed the last note, memories flooded back to him. They were old memories, of when his parents used to play this to him as a lullaby. He blinked back tears, and quickly wiped his eyes.

Lupus sat the guitar down by his bed and got up, opening the door. Star stood there, and it was obvious she had been listening. There weren't many words to say, but Lupus could tell she had liked it.

"You doing okay?" Star asked quietly, her voice concerned, but hesitant. Lupus shrugged, and she twined her tail around his.

I'd be okay if Darkstalker was back in the ground, Lupus's thoughts chimed out, and he sighed.

The letter from Qibli had come out about an hour after the earth shook. He told Lupus and the rest of the winglet that Moon had raised Darkstalker, and to his surprise, Darkstalker wasn't killing them all. Apparently Darkstalker was hanging around Jade Mountain, socializing and such.

Lupus knew from his visions that sometime today, Darkstalker would come for him, due to Lupus being one of the possible dragons who had the power to kill him. Lupus dreaded this, and every minute that passed his heart beat like a ticking clock, counting down the time he had left with his friends.

He wasn't safe. None of them were.

Lupus and Star headed up to his study, and on their way they passed Python, who was pacing furiously back and forth, clearly worried out of her mind. She was muttering to herself, but Lupus could only catch the words "Darkstalker" and the phrase "Bad for business"

After The Saint had been killed, Python had taken over her mafia, dealing with properly protecting the people of Possibility and fully abolishing the "protection" fees and instead incorporating fair and just taxes, with kind leniency over those who couldn't pay.

Python never talked to Lupus much anymore, and most of the time Lupus saw her, she was either doing paperwork, talking with some other members of the mafia, or well, trying to explain to Tigerfish that she could NOT have concrete shoes for her hatching day.

Star motioned to Lupus, obviously telling him to comfort and calm his friend. Lupus took her suggestions and walked up to Python. "Hey" He mustered, not really knowing what to say. Python has really changed from that caretaker of the house to a full out stereotypical mob boss on the outside, but that kind, compassionate dragon that was inside still dared to poke its head out of the snow now and then.

"Hey Lupus," Python greeted, ceasing her pacing and staring at him with a curious glance. "What's up?"

"Nothin much," Lupus replied, and then smiled sheepishly. Python returned the smile, and nodded. "Same here." She said, fidgeting some.

"You okay?" Lupus asked, and Python shook her head. "It's just- It's just I have this feeling something bad is about to happen, and I don't know how to keep it from happening" she admitted, and Lupus could tell that she sensed something big about to go down between them and the thing that just came out of the mountain.

Lupus pulled Python into a hug, which sent her thoughts down a confused, but happy path. Python leaned in to him, and Lupus pulled a wing around her. "It's okay." Lupus said, and added hesitantly. "I feel the same way. It's like, something bad is going to happen soon."