Chapter 27

Star's brain was going nuts. First, her lover, or ex-lover? 

I still need to work that out...but hey, on the bright side we can at least maybe save him...maybe.

This was the current dysphoria that plagued her brain. The "what ifs?" and the "hows?". It was the kind of plague that if left unchecked it could drive one mad, or at least drive them close to it. The constant "i love him" countered by the "i hate him, he hurt my friends". Star had been having nightmares of Prophet since he had been caged here in the mansion, three weeks ago. Rumors had it that Darkstalker had sent a plague on the IceWings in his rage of losing Prophet, and said plague was killing off most IceWings in the royal palace. Darkstalker himself had set up base in the old Night Kingdom, according to Qibli.

Qibli and Star had been pen pals since just about the time Star had left Jade Mountain, and their letters were mostly about what was going on in their lives, also including where their lives were taking them. Qibli had stopped sending letters a while ago, and it seemed to Star that he had been hot on Darkstalker's trail. The last letter she had gotten from him was about him leaving Jade Mountain and setting out to find Onyx, whoever that was. There was one short letter after that, describing the plague, but that was the last Star had heard from her charming SandWing friend. Star looked out the window, staring into the darkness of the night sky. Not a star was out on this gloomy night, and she wished she could at least see a few of them, hopefully if she flew onto the roof she could see at least one.

A FEW HOURS LATER

Life was a mess.

Star had been dealing with the aftermath of Prophet's capture for days now, and her sanity over the matter had almost fully degraded. She sat in Lupus's old study, amongst his piles and piles of notes he had made over Darkstalker. Something in his notes would help her, she knew it. She just had to find it. *come on, come on...where are you? Something, anything...please*

In her frustrated thoughts, her eyes drifted to the box that had been left open on the desk, the scroll still inside.

With trembling talons, Star reached out and grasped the scroll, lifting it from the box. *what might you be?* her brain murmured with curiosity. The scroll was clasped shut with a silver clasp, but the clasp had no lock or key, it seemed to be there to just hold the rolled paper together. With hesitant talons, Star went to unclasp the parcel. "It's from Lupus, theres nothing wrong with it." She said to herself out loud. There would be nothing wrong with it, for it was from her lover.

It took an eternity to undo the clasp, for Star's talons trembled with anticipation and excitement. She finally unrolled the scroll, letting its contents spill onto a clean, empty portion of desk. To Star's amazement, a small pouch had been rolled into the scroll, almost as if it was part of the parcel. She set that to the side, then got to reading the letter.

Dear Star,

If you are getting this letter, it means that the inevitable has happened. The visions I've been having, the prophecies, the worries. All of it, if you have gotten this letter, has become true.

The worlds burning, burning down to the ground, and only fate can right the wrongs and quench the flames. Promise me Star, that no matter what happens,

You won't attempt to kill Darkstalker.

He's too strong for the winglet, or what's left of us, whatever has happened. Face me, as Prophet, cage me, and don't ever let me go.

If It comes down to it, 

Kill me.

I don't want you to live in a world where a monster is king, and I am his suitor. I want you to be free of me, if Darkstalker wins. Don't let Prophet go, at any costs. Don't let him go free.

Don't speak to him, don't give him a chance to get in your head. He'll do that, rip into your subconsious and turn you to his own. If you let him, he will make you and everyone you love to a puppet, and you'll see things, do things you'd never imagine you doing. He'll break you.

I don't want you to be like what I've become. Don't let yourself lose like that.

Love,

-Lupus

Star's eyes were misty, tears fell from her eyes, onto the parchment. "Lupus..." she murmured. "I love you, so much.......I miss you.." 

"Don't let me lose you......keep fighting, please"

SOMEWHERE DEEP IN THE MOUNTAINS

Darkstalker stood atop a peak, looking out to the world that would soon be his. The IceWings would die of the plague, and then after that, his revenge plan would be complete. As to Prophet. 

What to do about that failed experiment? 

Darkstalker reached into a satchel under his wing, pulling a leather journal from it. It was an exact duplicate of Lupus's journal. Darkstalker was always too lazy to look into his foresights, Lupus had written down every single vision and every point of time that would correspond to his plans. In other words, the only reason he had captured Lupus was for his journal, and to take off the heat from the little tribreed.  If left unchecked, that little dragonet would ruin his plans, and rip them to little pieces.

Therefore, he neutralized him.

Turning Lupus into an evil, almost demonic killer. A perfect pawn to distract the Obsidian Winglet, and for him to focus on more...important matters. He had captured Turtle, finally, though Anemone had vanished, slipping out of his claws. The rest of the Jade  Winglet laid unchecked, and neutralizing them would send the whole Jade Mountain Academy into chaos.

He'd get them. 

He'd get them all.

And when he did,

He'd kill them.