CHAPTER IV

"Jai?" I asked. "Jai, where are we going?"

He didn't answer me. We continued walking down the alley. My mind scanned the place. We've never been here before, I gotta admit, it's starting to get creepy.

"Drop it, Jai. You're playing pranks with me again, don't you?"

"Shhh..."

That's all he said. It's creepy but I know he's just messing around with me. He still had his cold hand on me.

"You're hands are cold. I hope you're still alive." I laughed. Gasp. What if he's already dead? What if...

Why am I thinking this way?

"Jai, let me go!" I tried to sound relaxed. 

"Jai!" I tried to let go, but his grip became tighter. "Jai!"

He lets go off my hand but before I could open my mouth.

"Don't you ever..." I was going to go Hitler on him when the lights flicked on and I was struck with awe. 

We're in the arch of vines and flowers with four candles each on each pillars. It smelled like burned chestnut, like Christmas. The smell of lilac lingers, like May.

I turned around and found Jai, his pale complexion illuminated in the dark as well as the object he's holding.

A paper bag. A lantern!

"You had a plan to help me don't you?" he spoke, more huskily this time. I bet the coldness of the night made it worst.

"What is this?" I asked instead of taking his order.

"A little help would be good."

I took the lantern from his cold hands. He pulled the lighter from his side pocket.

"I thought you stopped smoking?" I teased.

He shrugged. "Some things are hard to stop." Seriously this time. As if he meant something more.

He light up the lighter and burned the wax, the fire rose and it inflates the lantern within a seconds. It illuminates the place, he took the opportunity to look up at the arch, purples and pinks sprung from the deep green vines.

"You did this?" I asked.

"Not really."

I scoffed. "You almost had me proud." I teased.

He chuckled.

  "Ani?" he calls me Ani. He's got used to it since he can't pronounce it as a kid.

"Yeah?"

"If this lantern is me? Why would you let me go?"

"Well, if this is you, I would let you go because the wax is starting to melt off." I snigger.

I saw him rolled his eyes. I laugh. "Okay fine!" 

I thought of something to say. "I wouldn't let you go, though, but if this lantern is you, I would let you go because for the love of me, nothing comes to mind..."

 I giggled and he did his signature 'eye roll'

 "Gimme as sec... Okay I got it!"

I looked at him and then to the golden lantern. "If this lantern is you, Jai. I will let you go so that you'll look after me."

And I saw him smile. A happy smile. A smile from him that I never saw before.

"I mean, I tend to be clumsy and irresponsible sometimes so, you know. I know you're always there for me,"

He chuckled. "I know. You got the perfect wish." He said huskily.

"Yep, so what's yours? You're gonna let me go because I'm such a pain in the butt?"

He grin. "That's my first wish. And the other is, I would let you go..." he looked at me. "Ani, if this lantern is you, I would let you go so that you'll shine brightly even though you're on your own. I want you to go out there and be happy."

Those words touched me. I feel a lump in my throat.

"I'm happy."

"I know... just... you'll know what I mean someday." and he smirked.

"Okay." I said more of a question than a statement.

"But more importantly, because you're a pain in the butt." He chuckled between the words. I laugh with him.

We both raised our arms and slowly let go off the lantern, it rosed higher and higher, shining brightly together with the few stars hidden beneath thick clouds. It's sailing across the dark span of space.

"I feel sorry for you because you're gonna look after me for the rest of your life

"I feel sorry for you because you're gonna look after me for the rest of your life."

He smiled. That smile again. 

"Always, Ani."

***

NOTE:

Hello people, I hope ya'll like this chapter. I'm trying the best I can for it to sound as good as possible. I hope you will love Jai and Aniah.

For ya'll who keeps on reading my story, thank you! :)

*photos are not mine*

xoxo