Rey

A dark-haired woman who panted with exertion and held the hand of a small child trudged through the threatening forest of Kaller.  The trees reached down with arched fingers as if to clutch the mother and her helpless child. The mother tried to walk as quietly as she could, but her urgent steps cracked dead twigs and tripped over roots. She looked behind her often and pulled the child, a girl who was no older than four standard years.

"Mama, my feet hurt," the child whined. The mother's did, too.

The mother dropped the bunched edge of her buff-colored dress and leaned over to pick the little girl up. Weak with the journey, she could not hold her daughter for long; but she tried anyway. Her feet dragged with the extra weight of the child, and the tattered edges of her gown caught on the underbrush.

She hugged her daughter close for a moment and whispered, "Hush, Rey, we must be quiet. Can you be quiet?"

Rey nodded, then nestled her head into her mother's shoulder; the only safety the child had ever known.

She walked on as fast as she could, which was anything but fast. She stumbled frequently but did not lose her hold on Rey.

"Where did he go?" she muttered to herself. After a few more minutes of walking, she stopped and put down her daughter to rest on the dead leaves and vines of the forest floor.

"It's no use," she said and fell to her knees. They sat together on the forest floor. The mother hid her tears from her daughter by putting her face in her rough and weathered hands.

"Mama," Rey said. "Who's that man?"

Rey was looking into the thick woods. No one was there.

Her mother looked up in that direction, then to her daughter. Her eyes opened wide in hope. She got up quickly and picked up the little girl, her muscles aching at the effort.

"Point to where he is, Rey. He's a man that can help us."

Rey's little hand pointed, and her mother started in that direction. After a short time, Rey stopped pointing. Her mother halted. The light of day was fading, and the forest was becoming darker. Cold chirps of insects began to usher in the night.

"Where is he, honey?" asked her mother, trying to remain calm.

Rey did not say anything, but instead, she looked past her mother.

"Why are you following me?" A voice came from behind the mother.  She jumped.

Rey's mother turned to see a man with a light brown beard and a long cloak standing before them. This was the man that she had been pursuing. She turned quickly.

"You--the Jedi Master," the woman said.

"Master? In the eyes of some," the man responded.

"But you are Luke Skywalker. Are you not?"

"I am," Luke said, cautious restraint in his voice as he stood tall with his hands clasped behind his back.

"Oh, thank the stars!" she exclaimed. She ran to him and fell before him.

Luke took a step back, breaking a stray branch with his step.

"You are in terrible danger!" she cried out.

Luke looked surprised. "What danger do you mean?"

"I will tell you, but first you must promise to help me." The woman had desperation in her voice.

Luke did not respond immediately but considered the woman and child. The silence from him was uncomfortable. The insects still sang their song. Rey walked up and grabbed her mother's arm.