The Two Purposes of Ben Solo

Ben, Sakiah, Jax, and Tanut stood around an orange fire in the woods of Kaller. Almost a year had passed since Ren and Darren had died. The sun still hid well below the horizon and the horizon hid beneath an expanse of grey clouds.  A fire lit the dark dark faces of the Padawans. Each was clad in body armor—armor they were wearing for the first time this night. Their helmets rested at their feet.

Ben stood up and addressed the others. "You know, this is the place Ren saved us from the bounty hunters a year ago," Ben started. "A fitting place for us to restore the balance that Skywalker had broken when he killed Ren and Darren. Since then, this master has shown his guilt. You all know how he has removed himself most of the time, seeking longer and more frequent retreats to who-knows-where. Are these not the behaviors of a man that knows his guilt?"

Ben walked back-and-forth a few steps with quick and angry strides. "We have given the rest of the Padawans ample time to come to our side, but none other than ourselves have seen the truth. Instead, they decided to support their guilty master. For that, they deserve to be wiped away with him."A flash of red passed over Ben's eyes as he said this. "This is what Darth Vader began. This is what we will finish."

As he said this three other figures exited from the dark forest. A tall dark man with an electro-staff; a beautiful dark-haired woman, whose purple eyes lit brightly in the firelight, and a broad-shouldered man with a dirty complexion emerged.

"Who are they," Jax asked.

"These were friends of Ren," Ben said. "They were trusted by him and so are trusted by me. They will be useful to do what is needed."

Ben held out his lightsaber and ignited the green light. Jax, Sakiah, and Tanut did the same, lighting their blue and green lightsabers.

"This ends an era of our lives," Ben said. "Let us embrace the galaxy's destiny."

There was a flash of lightning and a crack of thunder. He extinguished his blade. The others did as well. They tossed the lightsaber hilts into the fire. Each picked up their helmets. Ben donned his black helmet with the silver-lined face mask. Jax, having obtained green Mandalorian armor and jetpack through the black market of Plateau City, fitted himself with the Mandalorian helmet. Tanut had a hooded helmet, and Sakiah a lean faceplate. The new arrivals, Lura, Gabo, and Kiam put on theirs as well.

With that Ben, Tanut, Sakiah, and Jax produced new blades. Jax and Tanut's were silver-handled lightsabers. Sakiah produced her baton-like lightsaber, and Ben's was a cross-bar blade. Red blades emerged from each, which they raised above the fire and touched each other. Lura, Gabo, and Kiam stood behind them. Rain began to fall.

"We start a new era. You all are no longer Jedi Knights but are the Knights of Ren. Ben Solo is dead. Kylo Ren, the son of Ren, is born. Now let us go this night, and finish what Darth Vader started."

....

"Balance. Balance to the Force," Ben said to the seated Yoda and Maz. They sat high in a tree on a platform made from living vines and vegetation. Boughs of the tree and vines were woven together into a small hut-like structure at one end, their leaves overlapping in such a way as to be water-resistant. A small pad of rocks was in between them, with a meager fire on it. Over the fire hung a pot of boiling water.

"You asked me what my purpose was, and that was it," Ben reiterated. He lowered his head. "But I have failed. I have failed to use the dark side, and I cannot return to the light after what I have done. Now I have nothing, and nowhere to go."

"Lie to yourself, you do," Yoda answered. He removed the pot and poured some into a few small cups. "Palo gourd tea?"

Ben and Maz each took a cup.