Puppets

The darkness was pierced by Ben Solo's yellow lightsaber which illuminated a gloomy spherical room with a walkway that led to a central platform. The walls were inky and difficult to see.

"They won't be able to follow us in here," Rey said. "That door only opens with the Force."

"What is this place," the injured soldier, Sayah, asked.

"It is Snoke's meditation chamber," Ben replied. "It is best that we do not delay here."

He appeared stiff and uncomfortable but led the way across the walkway to the platform and then beyond toward the door at the opposite end. Using the Force, Ben opened the sliding exit door, and everyone walked out single file.

The next room was a massive room, also dark and cold, but filled with small waterfalls and natural fountains. A dull red light from glowing crystals in the roof and walls lit the room. "The Room of a Thousand Fountains," Ben said, noticing that the others would soon ask what this room was. "It supposedly was a greenhouse long ago. Now it is just dead rock. But what we want is at the other end. A mountain at the center of the old Jedi Temple."

They weaved their way through the pools and fountains until they came to a huge rock face of the interior mountain.  It was full of interlaced cracks like parched earth. There appeared to be no obvious entry through it Ben held out his free hand and closed his eyes. He strained, this obviously a more difficult door to open. The rocks at the center moved concentrically outward, filling each gap, until each rock was flush with each other and an opening formed, only large enough for single file entry.

"We're here," Ben said. "Only Rey and I go in here."

"I'm going." Finn argued.

"No, you're not." Ben countered. "Down there is a Sith Temple. Only those with the Force should enter."

"Should," Finn replied. "You said should. That settles it. I'm going."

Ben stepped in front of him and stood proudly adamant. "You cannot go in."

Rey angled between them and pushed Ben back with her forearm. "If he doesn't come, neither do I."

Ben appeared upset and studied her face. "Why do you want him to come?"

Rey looked sternly at him and replied, "You don't need to know. You only need to know I won't go without him."

"I know what you have in you," Ben said without anger but as a matter of fact. "I know you have the heart of a traitor, like your father.  You may have deceived him." He directed a gaze at Finn. "But you have not deceived me."

"I could say something the same about you." She glared directly at him. "But as it is, I will not go in without Finn," Rey said. "And you need me."

Ben huffed defeatedly and turned to enter. Rey nodded to Finn and then followed Ben through the narrow door. Finn turned toward those following him and said, "The four of you and BB-8 wait here. Defend the door if needed. But like I told Poe, if their forces are too great for you, you must surrender. And if Snoke comes . . ." He paused a second to think. "Then run."

The soldiers agreed. Finn turned to follow Rey and Ben.

It was not a deep entrance; and soon after entering the door, they emerged into the great colonnade of the Sith Temple. Giant four-meter diameter columns supported the tall cavern. Its roof seemed to move in the dim light; dark-side creatures crawling and maneuvering over its surface. Scattered throughout there were almost a hundred skeletons, some complete skeletons still clothed in robes, others incomplete. A few had ancient lightsabers still grasped in their bony hands.