The Cost

Finn panted, trying to catch his breath. Blood dripped from his mouth, ears, and forehead. A six-armed, torture droid hovered above his semi-reclined restraining table.  The droid's arms retracted as it lingered over its unyielding patient. An officer stood before Finn, administering the questioning. 

The officer's face was calm, but the corners of his lips showed his veiled amusement. He nodded to the droid, which lowered two arms to Finn's temples. Needle-like fingers at the tips slowly inserted at each temple. Finn tried to struggle for a moment. 

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," the officer said. "This procedure has a way for permanently damaging the patient--that is if you don't remain completely still."

The officer smiled. "Now tell me. The same question. Where is the Resistance base? And be careful to remain still . . . for your sake I am concerned."

Finn remained silent and adamant.

"Very well," the officer pointed to the droid.

Two stormtroopers stood sentinel outside the torture cell. They heard the screaming from inside the door as soon as it began, screams that progressively became quieter, not because the torture lessened, but because Finn's voice grew more and more hoarse. It was loud enough, however, that other First Order personnel would slow down in interest as they passed the door; but their walks returned to normal as the dark shadow of Darth Irata appeared around a corner.

Rey walked with purpose to the cell door. Her steps were not heavy but still produced a threatening echo in the cold hall. The stormtroopers straightened their posture and stood taller at her approach.

She did not look directly at them but barked the order, "Open the door."

They complied as quickly as they could. The door opened with a slicing noise and Rey entered. The officer's smug amusement vanished promptly upon seeing her and was replaced with a trembling lower lip. "Lady Irata," he stammered. "We are making progress."

"Did he speak?" she questioned.

"Well, no, Lady Irata," he admitted. "But I am getting close."

She smiled cryptically. "Good. Let me try."

He gave the signal for the droid to remove the needled arms. Rey waited until they were completely withdrawn. Once removed, her black-bladed lightsaber staff ignited and with a flashing slice, she cut down the interrogating officer, slashed through his torso before he even knew to defend himself.

"Guards!" she called out.

The stormtroopers ran into the room, their blasters in hand, but their constitutions were not ready for Rey. Her attack surprised them, the lightsaber staff dancing toward them, as they fired to no effect. In a flash, their heads hit the ground, with their smoking blasters and bodies a fraction of a second later.

She ran to Finn's side and unbuckled the restraints. He jolted in surprise.

"What . . ." he struggled to say.

"I'm getting you out of here," Rey said. "Can you walk?"

Finn nodded and stumbled from the table. He took a few weak steps but could manage.

"That's good enough," Rey said and grabbed his hand. "Come on."

They rushed out the door and into the hall. She slowed them down as personnel and troopers walked by, holding Finn by the upper arm as if he was her prisoner.

"Around this corner is a transport to the loading bay," she said in a low and unemotional voice. She made him turn the corner. He stumbled but stayed upright.

The transport door was closed, and they had to wait a minute before it arrived. Rey waited confidently. Finn shuffled his feet in anxiety. Anyone passing by seemed to hurry their steps to move past Rey as swiftly as possible,

"Seems your reputation is helping us," Finn commented.

"Quiet," was all she said in return.

The transport door opened, and a few technicians exited. They saw Rey and then bumped into each other as they tried to return to the transport.

"No," Rey ordered. "Get out."

The technicians sidled out as best they could and disappeared around a corner.

Rey and Finn entered and the door shut. They were both able to relax for a moment.

Finn turned to Rey. "What is going on?"

"I'm rescuing you," Rey said staring straight forward.

"Yeah, that's what I mean," Finn replied, his voice heavy with sarcasm. "Why?"

"Does it matter?" she retorted.

"Yes. Yes, it does," Finn said contentiously. "I save your life. You do that dark side walk all in my head." Finn waved his arms as he said this. "Then send in that Mr. Needles and his pet droid—and look at me!"

Rey turned and reluctantly focused on Finn, not looking at him in the eyes.

"Look at me!" he demanded again. He was angry. His face was beaten, blood dried to his face, and fresh blood dripped from the needle holes in his temple. "This is what you have done! And now you are rescuing me? Forgive me if I need to know why."

Rey appeared shaken and still avoided Finn's eyes. Her confidence wavered. "I . . . I . . ." she stuttered but stood tall as her confidence returned. "Snoke told me about my parents. He told me about my father and what he did."

Finn stepped closer, a little too close.

Rey continued, but she looked to the wall. "He had done things, in order to do what he thought he needed to do."

Finn angled to get Rey's eyes. "Look at me."

She raised her eyes to his. "My father caused great suffering."

"There's more," Finn replied.

Her voice quivered and her eyes wandered away again. "I will not be like him."

"Some of that may be true," Finn replied. "But I don't need the Force to know you are lying to me."

A flash of anger passed over Rey's face, then subsided. "What?"

"Look at the suffering you have done to me. This is the cost . . ."

Rey really looked at him for the first time. She saw through the physical pain shown by the cuts and bruises. She saw and felt his deeper pain.

Finn appeared as if he would fall to the ground, but he managed to stand tall. "This is the cost of loving you."

The words hung heavy in the air and settled down on Rey. It was too much for her, as the reality she knew to be true became undeniably evident before her. Her constitution failed, and her veneer of confidence melted away. He closed the gap between them. She then drew close and kissed him. The kiss was soft but painful, their faces mixed with joy and fear, not wanting to let go, but fearing to continue. 

Their internal conflict was settled however, as the transport was suddenly jerked to a stop and their embrace broke abruptly.

"What was that!" Finn exclaimed as he was shocked back to reality.

Rey darted her gaze around the transport. "We're not there yet. They must have stopped us."

She lit her lightsaber staff and began to cut a hole through the door.

"How far away from the loading bay are we?" Finn asked.

"Not far. That's not the problem," Rey informed. The transport shook again, the metal whining. Finn fell over.

"What was that?" Finn asked again as he tried to get up.

"The problem," Rey answered, fear on her face. "Snoke."