𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

A LUCID DREAM

I SEARCHED THROUGH MY closet, humming the Tiny Dancer, alongside the song that's blazing through the google home in my bedroom. I took my nightwear and towel out and went into the attached bathroom to see the bathtub filled with enough water.

I turned the faucet off and decided to strip my clothes to take a much-needed bath to relieve the stress of the hectic week I had, packing everything I will need to follow my dream. In a week's time, I will be out of this gloomy house, to start the new phase of my life, and pursue my major in Biochemistry at UC Davis.

When I turned around to walk back to the bedroom, and get the bath salts I had forgot, my leg slid, and my body fell backward before I could stop, and then I hit my head hard aginst the edge of bathtub.

Everything happened in a matter of seconds. I couldn't make any sense out of it, well, other than the unbearable pain in my head, that felt like a mini aneurysm.

I squirmed on the floor for a while, holding my head with both hands, my eyes still closed tightly, praying that the pain stops. After a few agonizing minutes or seconds, the pain subduded, almost miraculously.

I opened my eyes, hesitantly, only to see that I was no longer on my bathroom floor. Instead, I was in the middle of the forest, surrounded by tall trees, and I was leaning on a broken tree log with no human in my sight. I could feel the tiny pebbles underneath me, along with the dry leaves and small twigs. As the cool breeze of the night hit me in the face, I unconsciously tucked my hands into the hoodie; I didn't know I was wearing.

What the heck is happening?

It looks like I hit my head so hard, that I am dreaming all of this shit.

Nevertheless, I didn't get time to contemplate it much when I heard a growl near me. I looked into the direction of the sound, only to see a creature with bright red eyes, staring at me like I am its prey. I no longer cared if it was a dream or not. I made a run for it, my instincts kicking in. But I didn't even take two steps in the other direction, as the rabid dog caught up to me and pulled me back with its teeth. I let out a shout hoping someone would hear and come to my aid. The cry turned into a high-pitched scream when I was bitten by it.

When I finally saw it up close, hovering above me, I realized it wasn't a rabid dog, but some kind of wolf I used to watch in supernatural teen dramas. I reflexively pushed the thing away and fled into the cold night, using all my strength to get away from it.