Dancing before the attack

After three dances with Pietro, Kara demurred when he requested another. She went to be with Anna. Kara wished that there was someone more her age whom Anna could spend some time with, or a youth who would ask her to dance. Looking around she did see a few boys of about her age, but they seemed to be with their families and at the moment were staying near their parents. However, just then a youth came toward her. Anna gave Kara a smile and then went off with the young man, holding his hand as he led her closer to the dance floor.

Glad that her sister could also enjoy the occasion, Kara did not return to the bench but remained standing so that she could better see the crowd. Though the torches didn't throw quite enough light, they added wonderful atmosphere, and Kara could see how fashionably and beautifully many of the ladies and even the men were garbed. So far, she had glimpsed Derek only once, when they were arriving, and now she looked out to try to sight him and Julia. Still not seeing him, she guessed he must be somewhere on the other side. She didn't want to move too far from where she and Anna had stood for fear that Anna wouldn't be able to find her. She did go a bit to the left to get a better view of those dancing.

From there, she spotted him. She enviously watched him and Julia, as they moved so beautifully together. Julia's garment was truly stunning, flaring out as she spun with Derek. Kara looked down at what she was wearing and realized her outfit couldn't hold a candle to hers. Derek looked so handsome, so cavalier, so gracious as he moved with her, that Kara felt a bit discouraged. The wonderful dance moves the two exhibited must have been refined by hours and hours of practice. Kara felt that she would not be able to dance nearly as well.

Then, as she was giving them her full attention, Derek noticed her. She knew he had for she saw that for a moment he seemed to pause in his steps to look at her. Kara was embarrassed. She was with his special lady and she was but a commoner, looking with yearning at a man who was obviously far above her social stature. She turned and walked the short distance back to the place where she and Anna had been standing.

It was then that she caught sight of Gabriela. She too was dancing, and with a man most elegantly attired. His gold chains and emblems glittered in the torchlight. Such a man was special, that was certain, for who but someone of wealth and power could present such an appearance? Kara wondered, could Gabriela actually be dancing with one of the sons of the duke?

Anna came back, smiling, bowing to the boy whom she had danced with. Kara guessed that he was maybe twelve years old, a well dressed youth. Then, with surprise, she saw Derek coming toward her. Julia was not with him.

"Hi! he said. "I'm glad you came tonight, especially as we don't know when the next one will be held."

"Yes. I was surprised the event wasn't canceled. I'm glad to see you. I did catch sight of you. You are so light on your feet."

"Thank you. I've had a lot of practice. May I have this dance with you, Kara?"

She answered, "Of course," but with a bit of insecurity. Would he find her clumsy compared with Julia? She walked with him as he led them closer to the musicians. When he turned to take her in his arms he smiled. Kara gave him a nervous smile in return. They began dancing and very soon all her fears were over. She didn't know how he did it, but he was the easiest man ever to follow.

Then she heard it. Everyone heard it. Loud horns from the towers. Horns blasted in unison that could only mean that the enemy had been sighted and was approaching the walls of the city. The musicians abruptly stopped, some of the women began screaming, and most of the knights left as they rushed back to get their swords and armor.

Derek put his hands on Kara's shoulders, his face showing the concern he felt for her, and said, "Kara, we are in danger. You are in danger. Come with me immediately back to the stronghold where there is some safety. Your sister should come too."

Kara shook her head. "No, Derek, I cannot leave all my family to go with you."

Derek looked at her and saw conviction in her eyes. "Go then, protect yourselves. We may still have some time. The soldiers on guard should be able to hold them until I and other knights get there." Then leaving her he rushed off toward the stronghold.

"Come, Anna, let's go. Have you seen Gabriela?"

"No," she answered. "I haven't seen her."

Returning to their house, Kara found Gabriela already there, telling her father and Lukas that the Saracens had already arrived outside the city gates and that they might attack at any moment.

Her father answered angrily, "Why then did they have the dance at a time like this!"

"I don't know, father," Kara answered him. "Derek told me they were keeping track of their movements as they traveled this way. Maybe they suddenly rushed ahead."

"God have mercy on us if they break through!" Then he added, "We must securely bar the doors. We have nothing of value they would want, no gold and hardly any silver. They will be looking for treasure and they won't find it here."

Then, they heard a great roar of trumpets and drums of the enemy, an overpowering noise that no closed doors could possibly silence.

"I think they are going to attack," said Lukas.

Kara looked out one of their tiny windows. "Look, the knights are coming!" In the darkness she couldn't make out any faces, but she saw the gleam of swords as a company of knights rushed toward the wall. With relief, Kara was thankful the knights would be there in time.

As the five of them, she, Anna, Gabriela, her father and Lukas watched fearfully behind the barred doors of their home and business, suddenly the sky was filled with a volley of flaming arrows. From inside they heard the thunk as two of them landed on the roof.

"Lukas," her father said. "Get the ladder and climb up on top and we'll pass buckets of water to you. Hurry! We can't let the building burn down!"

Unbolting the back door they all rushed out of the house. Already, they could see fires starting on some of the nearby houses while on others, owners like themselves, were hurriedly trying to put out the fires. Kara looked toward the wall where she could make out knights hastily firing arrows at the enemy troops. She hoped and prayed that Derek and the others would be safe on the ramparts.

Hey! this part turned out fairly well, in spite of everything. Hope you liked it too. As you might imagine, there's going be some coming action, but the big question is what's going to happen with Kara, Derek, Pietro and Gabriela? Read on to find out. Expect at least one surprise. And, thanks for reading, and welcome your comments.