3

Nick

My eyes opened blearily and I rolled over, pushing my head into a pillow to shield my face from the sun. Demi was gone, and it frustrated me more than usual. I thought we had a break through last night. The mood felt different as we panted into each other's mouth. Once it was over she moved to my ear and kissed my neck, whispering 'mine' one more time. It felt like she was somehow growing feelings for me. But no, the empty bed confirmed that those thoughts were wrong. Sometimes I wished I could just go and shake her, yelling that she doesn't have to afraid to fall for me. I'd never do anything to hurt her like guys had done in the past and I just wanted her to understand that. The cold empty bed was getting tiring, and I didn't know how much more of this I could take. Still groggy from the sleep, I stood up with a groan and walked immediately to the fridge as I could feel my sugar was low.

"Good morning." I jerked up and hit my head on a shelf with a loud thump. Grimacing, I turned around. Demi was sitting at the counter, looking beautiful and radiant as she sipped her coffee and giggled as I rubbed the back of my my head.

"Hey."

She smiled slightly, and I could feel my hopes rising as much as I wanted to beat them down, "Hey."

"What are you still doing here?" I said softly, unwrapping a granola bar that I took from the pantry.

"I kind of overslept." She admitted sheepishly, "I left my phone in my car so I didn't have an alarm to go off." I nodded, then realized I was staring at her for slightly too long and switched my gaze to my hands until she laughed bitterly. "This is why I don't stick around, awkward mornings and tension that both of us don't need."

I smiled a bit and peeked up at her, "It doesn't have to be awkward like this..." Demi raised an eyebrow, inviting me to continue. "I mean... Why don't we have dinner tonight?"

She sighed, and my hopes popped like a balloon.

"Nick.."

I nodded, getting annoyed at myself for even letting me think she'd say yes, "Forget it."

She shook her head, "Let's just not make this something that it's not."

"Then tell me what we are." I found myself speaking, "Are we an item? Just friend? A quick hookup? Tell me Demi because I need to know."

She sighed, "Nick... I don't really know what we are but over everything I'd like to still be friends for a long time, I'm sorry if you don't feel the same way but that's where I stand.

I nodded and stared at my hands again as she pulled on her jacket and hesitated, walking over to me she softly kissed me cheek. I closed my eyes as she walked out, not wanting to watch the door shut behind her.

~*~

I wish you didn't have to post it all, I wish you'd save a little bit just for me.

Protective or possessive, yeah. Call it passive or aggressive.

I walked out of the studio booth while a smile on my face. The song was far from finished, but I was still convinced already that it was going to be a hit.

"Wow."

I turned, and my heart clenched at the sight of Demi standing in the corner with a small smile on her face that showed she'd been listening to the song for awhile.

"Hey, what are you doing here?"

She shrugged and walked over, "I just wanted to apologize."

I glanced at the producers around us, who were trying without success to make it look like they weren't eavesdropping. "Can you give me a minute guys?" Once they'd all filed out I turned back to Demi. "You don't have to apologize for anything, I shouldn't have asked this morning-"

"I mean for last night." Demi interrupted, and I furrowed my brow.

"What do you mean?"

She smiled softly, "I shouldn't of come over last night. I broke our deal and brought feelings into it."

I was shaking my head before she even finished speaking, "Demi over all we're best friends. You can always come over to vent or cry. I'm not one of those one night stand who doesn't care about you, I know you better than anyone. Like you said, we're friends over everything, and that applies to our... agreement. Don't think that you can't come and talk to be about absolutely everything and anything."

She nodded and walked into my arms, hugging me tightly before looking up at me through her lashes, "So i'll see you tonight?"

I smirked, "Of course."

~*~

Demi didn't show up. I guess I shouldn't of been surprised, she always had to be in control and today I think she thought she was slipping. But she doesn't get it, she'll always be in control. Of my heart, my mind, and my action. I knew things wouldn't ever change in that aspect. So as I laid in the bed alone that just last night I'd shared with Demi, I was overwhelming lonely as I drifted off to sleep.

~*~

The next morning I awoke to my doorbell ringing insistently. In a zombie like state I stumbled downstairs to the door. Olivia was behind it.

"Nick, did I wake you up?"

I blinked a few times and slowly nodded my head.

"Oh sorry, I couldn't wait. I'm breaking it off with Kyle. I want you, I need you."

Now more awake and highly confused as she wrapped her arms around my neck I sighed and stepped back.

"Olivia I can't."

Her face fell, "What?"

I shook my head, "I just can't."

She was confused, and rightly so. "Is there someone else?"

Slowly, I nodded and looked past her, "Something like that."

Olivia stepped into the house and grabbed my hand, "Nick you can talk to me. Let's go sit down."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!

Twitter: @Lovatic_Chica

-Rachel