Chapter 6: No Good Deed

A/N: I hope you enjoy the new chapter! The next one should be up within a month or two. Thank you for reading. As always, I would love it if you could comment or vote. Those things go a long way in encouraging me to write more. Enjoy...

        Dahlia stood patiently by the front doors waiting for Mr. Filch to arrive with her delinquent brother, his friends, and the young Malfoy heir. While she was waiting, Dahlia once again reviewed the lists of ingredients for Professors Sprout and Snape seeking out commonalities. It was only a few minutes before the girl was joined with Mr. Filch, her brother, his friends, and the Malfoy heir and it was with nervous excitement that the group ventured towards the Forbidden Forest. In the forest not only would they find the injured unicorn but also Harry's greatest enemy.

        The beginning of the detention was not all that bad in Dahlia's opinion. I mean, there were a few minor incidents... the young Malfoy heir frightened Neville, that stupid mutt ran off, and then Dahlia's main task of gathering herbs was rudely interrupted by an attack on her brother. Earlier the young witch had stopped to gather a rather hard to find herb on Professor Snape's ingredient list when she heard her brother's scream. Dahlia may have been colder and more distant since her most recent trip to the past, but she was not so far removed from the girl she once was that hearing Harry's pained yells did not affect her. Feeling more panicked than she had in years, Dahlia Potter ran towards the scream to find her brother caught on some tree's gnarled roots with a dark figure slowly advancing towards him. Of course, the Malfoy heir was nowhere to be seen.

        "Figures," Dahlia thought snidely "the little snake likely abandoned her brother when the first hint of any trouble was seen." Rather than considering the fine line between self-preservation and cowardice, Dahlia decided to put an end to this figure's plans.

        "Hey!" Dahlia yelled after the menacing figure. It was then that the man cloaked in darkness turned towards her. After a brief pause, the cloaked man took a step towards her, his magic reached forward to grab her own. As his own magic curled around hers in a way which seemed almost possessive, it constricted and grew warm to the point of actual physical pain. It felt as if it was trying to brand her very magic with the searing heat of his own. Dahlia's screams of pain were cut short as a centaur jumped over the fallen tree Harry was snagged on and scared the figure away. The centaur soon after helped her brother get to his feet and they quietly discussed the evil that lurked within the forest, but Dahlia was unaware of all of this as she had passed out many seconds before.

        After that night in the Forbidden Forest, Professor Snape's attitude towards her changed and so did Professor Quirrell's. Professor Snape, the git that he is, not only took house points away from her for failing to gather all of his requested ingredients, but also made her serve detention for endangering herself through her reckless actions of separating from the group. As for her favourite professor, Professor Quirrell began to distance himself from the girl rather abruptly and seemingly without cause. Even though she had got used to the extra attention from her fellow Hogwarts students after taking Professor Quirrell's advice, she had still enjoyed her weekly visits with the defense against the dark arts teacher. To her, they were a time to have scholarly debates, practice her spell work, and vent about Hogwarts restricted curriculum. Now though, that was all gone away. Without either Tom or Professor Quirrell to keep her sane, Dahlia soon reached new heights of irritation as every little inconvenience seemed to bug her. The young witch was still the perfect student: high grades, well written essays, never tardy, and always offering to lend a hand; however, outside of class the girl secluded herself from the rest of the school. Not even her brother and his friends, when they actually managed to track her down, could get through to Dahlia and convince her to join them for some fun. After a short time of separation from everyone, including her brother, Dahlia realized that she had been letting herself getting distracted from her goals... She would see Tom again soon and they would be ready to make that potion that they had searched so hard together to find the recipe for. 

        With her rediscovered motivation and new found free time, Dahlia threw herself totally into her studies and they were not ones the school would have approved of

        With her rediscovered motivation and new found free time, Dahlia threw herself totally into her studies and they were not ones the school would have approved of. In fact, the things she was researching and experimenting with were so questionable that they were shocking enough to turn a Black's hair the color of Malfoy blonde. Yes, all of Dahlia's work was starting to come together so of course she was inevitably interrupted.

        Regardless of how much trouble she went to to keep herself sequestered away from the rest of the student body, her brother Harry once again pulled her into the thick of things when he sought her out saying he needed help facing the overgrown bat of the dungeons who was supposedly after the Sorcerer's Stone.

        Despite how many valid arguments Dahlia produced and how many times she told her brother that she was not interested in joining him on his little adventure, Harry continued to drag her into a series of rather unfortunate events. In a small act of childish protest combined with a large amount of spite, the young girl refused to help her brother in facing the tasks set up to protect the stone. Nevertheless, her brother Harry continued to pull her along into events she wanted no part of like facing a cerberus, playing one terrifying game of chess, and walking through fire. After having been burnt by magic in the forest, that particular detail of the potions task definitely put her on edge. But since fate hated her, she did not get a respite to calm her nerves. Rather, she came face-to-face with another shock that sent both her anxiety and magic into a frenzy. The person who met her on the other side of the flames was not Professor Snape. No, it was the one who branded her magic in the Forbidden Forest, and he was wearing her favourite professor's face.