Chapter 7: Gryffindor Heart, Slytherin Brain

A/N: Sorry, this update took longer than expected. School has been so work heavy, but I have not abandoned this story. I have this book outlined and it will be around twenty-two chapters long. I hope you enjoy this chapter! As always, comments and votes are the best sort of positive reinforcement for writing. 😊

        Dahlia Potter was frozen in shock of this turn of events

        Dahlia Potter was frozen in shock of this turn of events. Even a Petrificus Totalus couldn't render her as stiff as she was then. The next few minutes of events didn't register in her mind as all sound was muted and anything she saw was reduced to a blur of moving colors. Her mind ran on a loop repeating, 'So stupid. Shouldn't have trusted. What would Tom say if I died now? Tom. Tom. Tom.' Dahlia continued existing in that oblivious state until she felt a familiar magic wrap around her and heard a raspy voice murmuring in her ear.

        "Calm now, Dove. Calm down." the ash formed spirit of Voldemort said.

        Dahlia's world came back into focus at her nickname which her Tom usually called her. "Don't call me that!" Dahlia verbally snapped as her magic tried to bat away the very same magic which had branded hers in the forest. As the spirit chuckled at the young girl's protests, she looked around to try to find her brother and her most beloved teacher. In seeing her brother unconscious and the teacher literally reduced to ash, Dahlia turned angrily to the spirit of Voldemort and snaked her riled-up magic around the spirit trying to choke him, destroy him. Dahlia's eyes turned dark as her magic tried to obliterate the spirit in front of her. With each angry word, the girl tried to tear at the dark wizard's soul as she said, "First, you kill my parents. You made me and Harry orphans. Now, you hurt my brother and kill my favourite professor?! You have no right! No right to brand my magic and NO RIGHT TO CALL ME DOVE!" 

        The spirit of Voldemort, being tired of the accusations and offended at her attempts to destroy him, grew furious at the whole situation

        The spirit of Voldemort, being tired of the accusations and offended at her attempts to destroy him, grew furious at the whole situation. He easily flicked away her futile attempts at harming him away and maneuvered his magic to surround her like a cage as he forced her onto her knees and sent a flash of searing heat through the marks he left on her magic. Tauntingly Voldemort said, "Someone has been hanging around the Gryffindors far too long. They have started influencing that Slytherin brain of yours." Voldemort's voice turned from taunting to chiding and upset as he said, "You're acting much too rashly without careful consideration. You're becoming reckless." Taking a breath and calming himself, he said calmly, "I suppose some of that is my fault. I shouldn't have left you exposed to their Gyffindorness for such an extended period without the buffer of our weekly chats."

        "You," Dahlia gasped out in a strangled voice, "It's been you speaking with me the entire time?"

        "Mostly. Although sometimes it was your dear professor speaking with me feeding him lines here and there. All those debates you enjoyed, all those worthwhile moments in your life have as of yet have been with me." Voldemort's eyes examined Dahlia's face closely looking for any sign of revelation at his true identity as he subtly hinted at their close relationship and history together. However, the young witch was too unfocused from magical and emotional exhaustion as well as pain to pick up and piece together the puzzle pieces offered by him. When he recognized her lack of comprehension and her poor state of being, Voldemort's grasp on her body and magic softened as it moved to sooth the burns on her magic. "Trust me. I have been a more critical role in your life than you realize, Dove."

        "Can you please not call me that?" Dahlia asked in a resigned voice, knowing her request probably wouldn't be met. "That nickname it --- it belongs in the past."

        The spirit just smirked at his witch's statement, ignoring her request and said, "We will have to resume this discussion another time, dear. That fool Dumbledore and my wayward servant will be here soon. Sleep well, Dove." Dahlia knew no more as the spirit of Voldemort used some of his quickly weakening magic to force his long-time partner into a healing sleep as he lowered her gently down onto the stone floor. Let it be known that Voldemort takes good care of the things that are his.

        The remainder of the year passed slowly, at least for Dahlia who was stuck in the hospital wing for the remainder of the school year as she healed from her encounter with Voldemort. The girl didn't even get to attend the final feast, but Dahlia didn't truly care if she went or not. In Tom's era, she had already been to the ending feast twice. It seemed even less important without Tom by her side while they worked together to secure their current position in Slytherin House hierarchy before the long break. Plus, avoiding the feast meant avoiding the suspicious teacher's stares, or at least Dumbledore's. Over the year, the rest of her old teachers had relaxed around her as she began acting distinct from who she was fifty years ago. Dumbledore was the only one who still consistently watched her with wary eyes, but he had always watched her like that due to her close relationship with Tom. After she told a rather vague account facing Voldemort after Harry was unconscious, he became even more suspicious of her. Considering her former state of shock, Dahlia considered the story she spun about vague recollections and blurry memories plausible. Then again, Dumbledore had always found her questionable. Why stop now? On train ride home, Dahlia sat alone in the same luggage compartment from the beginning of the year as she sat longing for the laxer summer magic restrictions of the 1940s. As sat there drifting asleep and daydreaming of revenge on the Dursleys, she was unaware of how the remains of Voldemort's magic which had branded her own powers began to awaken and started performing their intended purpose.