Chapter 2| Sophora Stroll

Katsumi and Tsubaki were walking side by side, exiting the area full of pink

   Katsumi and Tsubaki were walking side by side, exiting the area full of pink. The other side was different like Tsubaki had mentioned. At the other side was dark and dreary. The trees were dying, the grass was completely dried up. It reeked of rotting flesh due to a swamp that was in the distance.

   Katsumi scrunched her face in disgust. "You weren't kidding..."

   "Yeah, well..." Tsubaki scratched his head. "It won't look like this once we go through those woods there." He pointed out.

   The woods looked haunted, almost like creatures of the night could jump out at them. Katsumi gulped. "Are the woods even safe?"

   "Despite the appearance, it's completely safe. But if it'll make you feel better..." Tsubaki inched closer, putting his arm around her shoulders. "I'll be this close to make you feel secured."

   Katsumi turned away with a blush. "You don't have to be this close..."

   Tsubaki soon backed off after she stated her feelings. "My bad, little lady. It's just that you looked so frightened."

   "I am, but you don't need to hold me to make me feel safe."

   "Fair enough. You are a young adult, after all. Are you not?"

   "I'm 16 soon to be 17, so... I'm still technically a teenager."

   "Oh... An adolescent. I'm 180 years old, but in human years I would be around 18."

   Katsumi wasn't surprised about his age, already knowing that he was a mythical creature. "About a year and half older than me if you were human..."

   "True, true." Tsubaki paused. "Well then... Let's get going. The sooner we get past these woods, the sooner we can get to my home." Holding out his hand, he gave her a wink. "Shall we go, little lady?"

   Staring down at his hand, Katsumi was starting to feel shy. Hesitant and flustered, she ended up taking a hold of his hand. His hand felt so warm, a little bigger than hers. His hand enveloped into hers, feeling like a perfect fit.

   ~*~

   The two were walking in the woods full of large pagoda trees. Still holding hands, Katsumi wasn't sure why he didn't release her hand. But more importantly, why didn't she release his hand? Staring down at their intertwined hands, a soft blush appeared on her face. This almost feels like a date!

   Noticing her flustered expression, Tsubaki couldn't help but smile softly. "You're so cute when you look like that."

   Getting caught off guard, Katsumi's blush deepened. "W-What are you talking about?!"

   "You have such a cute expression when you blush, little lady."

   Aware that he was just teasing her, Katsumi turned away. "Stop that. Don't call me cute."