Chapter 17

Arthur Sakho

Danny came into the studio hand in hand with one of the freshmen. They smiled sweetly at each other and then she found a spot near the other freshmen while Danny came to stand by me. I stretched a leg up on the bar. He followed suit.

"You're dating a freshman," I teased.

"So are you," he said easily.

"Oh yeah. I forgot Trevon is a freshman."

"Did you ask if he would mind if we did a romantic concept?" Danny asked.

"He said he was fine with it," I said.

"Good," he said. "I came up with a few ideas last night. Are you okay with lifts?"

"Me lifting or you lifting or both?"

"Both," he said. "We've got to take turns."

I smiled. "Let's do it."

Samantha came on the other side of me and said, "I'm warning you both that Alice is going to be with us today."

"Why?" Danny asked, but Samantha shut her mouth and put a pained smile on her lips.

"Hi," Alice said to us. She stood on the other side of Samantha.

"Hi," Danny and I said at the same time.

Mrs. Madsen came in then and we started our warmups. Then she told us to get into the groups she had already designated us into. Her assistant went to help the freshmen and Mrs. Madsen came directly to us.

"What did you decide?" Mrs. Madsen asked us. I couldn't help but notice that Samantha and Alice were standing with us as if they were part of the group with me and Danny.

"We are going to be romantic," Danny said and he swung his arm around my shoulders and pulled me in close to his side. We were the same height, had the same body type.

"Us too," Samantha said indicating her and Alice.

I couldn't quite explain why I was so excited that there was going to be a woman/woman duet as well as a man/man duet.

"Yay!" I said brightly and high fived Samantha while Alice high fived Danny. Then Alice's hand was in my space and I was high fiving it before I realized it. And just like that, things were comfortable with her again.

"Good," Mrs. Madsen said. "I'm going to let you come up with your own choreographies this time. Even though the four of you aren't dancing together, I still want you to work with each other. Play your ideas off each other. Perform for each other to see what works and what doesn't. And ladies, the men can help you learn the proper technique to lift each other and men, the ladies can teach you how to properly be lifted."

Mrs. Madsen left us to go to the next set of sophomores. For the rest of the time we practiced lifting each other. I showed Alice where to put her hands on Samantha to lift her properly while Samantha scolded Danny for not keeping his core straight when I tried to lift him. Then the situations were reversed when Samantha tried to lift Alice and Danny tried to lift me. By the end of the class, we weren't perfect, but at least we were getting the hang of lifting each other. Danny was a lot heavier than Alice.

As we walked out of the studio, Danny told me some of his choreography ideas. I liked most of them and it made me think of a few myself which I shared. His freshmen girlfriend ran up behind us and grabbed Danny's arm. She politely said hello to me. The two of them left together, but not before Danny threw me a look that let me know he had completely forgotten about her. I didn't think that relationship was going to last long.