Chapter 38

Arthur Sakho

"Don't be nervous," I said to Trevon as we pulled up to my family house.

"I'm not nervous," he said, but clearly he was.

"My family is going to love you," I said.

"Yeah," he said, but his smile was strained. I was probably going to be the same next week when I meet his family. I had more reason to be nervous though. I had to meet his grandpa. He didn't have to meet any of my grandparents.

"Ready to go in?"

He nodded a little too energetically with that same plastered, fake smile. Before we could exit, his phone rang and he sighed audibly with relief. He didn't even look to see who was calling before he answered it.

"Hello."

There was a pause while he listened to whoever was on the line. "Sure. No problem. How much do you want?" Another pause. "Is that all? I can give you more. Alright. What are you going to get them?"

That was when I realized he was stalling. I nudged his leg. His handsome eyes turned to me. He knew I had caught him.

"Alright," he said. "Send me your account number. I'll transfer the money. No need to pay me back. You can consider it my Christmas present to you. Okay. Bye."

He hung up. I raised an eyebrow at him waiting for him to explain to me what that was all about.

"That was Vinny," he said. "He hasn't found a job yet. I don't know why." I had praised him whenever employers had called me for a reference. Vincent had always done well in school. He had always stayed out of trouble. And when he had worked at his family's factory, he had done a great job. He hadn't slacked off because he was family. "He wants to get presents for Chet and his family. I told him before that I would give him money. He was asking to borrow some so he could get them presents for Christmas."

"I see," I said. "You're a good friend."

His smile was genuine at this. "Let's go inside," I said. His smile faded as I opened the car door. We got out. He trailed a step behind me as we walked up to the house. I clasped his hand in mine. The foyer was empty when we walked inside. I could hear women talking further in the house, but couldn't make out words.

"I'm home," I called out.

Footsteps ran across the floor upstairs and then down the stairs. Eva sprang into view and threw her arms around my neck in a tight hug.

"Arty," she greeted.

"Hi, Eva," I replied.

She pulled away and looked Trevon up and down. His eyes darted to me not sure what he should do under my sister's scrutiny.

"You're even more handsome in person," she said. Then she threw her arms around him. "Welcome to the family."

I pried her arms off him.

"Thank you," Trevon said. "It's nice to meet you."

"My turn," my mom said. I wasn't sure when she arrived, but she was now standing behind Eva. Eva stepped aside and my mom pulled Trevon in a tight hug. "Welcome," she said to him.

"Thank you," Trevon said.

"Mama, are you just going to ignore me?" I asked.

My mom smiled at me. "Of course not," she pinched my cheek before she hugged me. It was warm and safe and everything a hug from your mother should be.