1

Mackenzie Wilson was a failure

Mackenzie Wilson was a failure. At least that was what she thinks. Everyone around her tells her that everyday. The twenty-four year old hurt herself when she was at a party about a year ago.

She fell off of the pool table she was dancing on and broke her back. She almost died. Mackenzie made it out alive and was put on strong painkillers for the pain.

The pain never went away for her. She got addicted, popped pills like candy, and almost overdosed.

Her sister Henrietta, or Hen as most people called her, found Mackenzie. She saved Mackenzies life.

Hen put Mackenzie in rehab and she has been there for the past three months.

Today, Mackenzie gets her second chance.

~~~~~~~~~

Mackenzie's POV

I signed my name on the check out list and handed the clipboard back to the lady at the front desk.

I grabbed my suitcase and walked out the front doors. My beautiful sister was leaning up against her car smiling at me.

"It's good to see you." I smiled hugging her neck.

"It's good to see you, how do you feel?"

"I'm okay. Ready to get the hell out of that place I know that." We both laughed and she helped me put my bags in her trunk.

We got in her car and we started to head toward her and Karen's house. "How is Denny?" I asked.

Hen smiled at the mention of his name, "he is good, growing big everyday."

"And you and Karen?"

"Amazing, I'm really happy Mack." I grabbed her hand and gave it a nice squeeze.

We passed the turnoff for the road to take back to Hens house. "Uh where are we going?"

"To the firehouse, there are some people I want you to meet."

I slumped back into my seat and rolled my eyes. "Why? So they can judge me like all your other friends?"

"Mack stop. These are good people, I think they might be able to help you."

We pulled into the firehouse and got out. I crossed my arms and followed Hen passed the huge fire trucks and up the stairs. There were three men sitting at a table eating breakfast.

"Hey Hen's back!" The Asian man said then noticed I was with her, "she brought a friend?"

"Guys this is Mackenzie, my sister."

"You never told us you had a sister." The younger guy said smirking. He stood up and walked over to me sticking out his hand. "I'm Evan Buckley, but everyone calls me Buck."

"Hi." I said shaking his hand then crossing them like they were before.

"And I'm Chimney, the best looking firefighter at the 118." The Asian man said making everyone laugh and roll their eyes.

"Nice to meet you." I smiled.

"I'm captain Bobby Nash, Hen talks very highly of you."

"Really? That's a first."

"Mackenzie." Hen warned not wanting me to start an argument with her.

"Well it's nice to meet all of you. I'm just not really sure why I'm here." I said turning to look at Hen.

"Well I had to leave in the middle of my shift to pick you up. So you are gonna stay here the rest of the day. Then I'll take you back to your apartment give you your keys and phone back. You just have to stay here until my shift is over." Hen explained.

"Great more babysitters." I sighed.

"I'm not sure what kind of babysitters you normally have but here at the 118 we can be pretty fun!" Chimney said slapping Bobby on the back. Everyone just looked at him with a dull expression.

"Right?" He urged again.

A loud bell went off and everyone around us jumped into action.

"What's that mean?" I asked.

"We gotta go. Stay here and clean up." Hen said rushed running down the stairs.

"Seriously? I'm not a maid!"

"Do it Mackenzie! You are starting over remember."

"This isn't what I had in mind." I said rolling my eyes once everyone was gone.

I walked back over to the table and picked up all the plates that had food on them. I threw everything away and started to do the dishes. Once everything was clean off the counter I started to wipe them down.

After everything was clean I started to walk around the firehouse. This place was hella nice.

No wonder Hen likes working here so much. Plus the eye candy isn't that bad, even if Hen is gay these firefighters sure are hot.

I went into the locker room and laid down on the bench there.

A few hours later someone shook my shoulders to wake me. I opened my eyes and saw Bobby bending down to look at me.

"We are back Mackenzie, Hen is looking for you."

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "Oh sorry I didn't realize this was the boys locker room."

"No worries. Maybe we could see you around more? You did a great job cleaning up." He chicken and I stood up.

"Means a lot coming from the captain. I should get going." I waved goodbye and walked to where Hen was. She was talking with Buck and Chimney.

"It's about time you came to get me." I said joining the three.

"Wow Hen and I thought you had an attitude." Buck said smirking at me getting a fist bump from Chimney.

"I thought this was a fire station not a school field trip, why are these little boys here?" I said making Hen burst out laughing. Chimney and Buck looked shocked and didn't know what to say.

"Alright alright it's a draw. Come on, I've got to get you home. Say bye to the little boys Mack." Hen said turning on her heels.

I waved bye to the two of them and blew them a kiss. Both men started blushing and I caught up to Hen before they could say anything.