2

Mackenzie woke up for the first time in three months in the comfort of her own apartment

Mackenzie woke up for the first time in three months in the comfort of her own apartment. She felt weird and alone.

She got up and got ready to go job hunting. Trying on numerous outfits to find the right one.

She settled on high waisted jeans and a cropped blue hoodie. She ran her fingers through her messy curls and walked out of her apartment, locking the door behind her.

She waited for her Uber in the lobby and once the car arrived she headed to her first job site of the day.

Mel's Coffee House

Once Mackenzie arrived she straightened her posture and walked into the coffee shop with a big smile on her face.

"Hi, I'm Mackenzie and I'm here for the new job opening." The dark skin girl approached the the older thin hair women behind the counter.

"Ah yes we got your resume!" She smiled and bent down grabbing an apron and hat.

"Here you go, come on around so I can show you how the register works."

The older women threw the uniform at her and Mackenzie was surprised. "Seriously? Just like that?"

"Oh honey, we are always short staffed, no time to talk the breakfast rush will be in soon." The older women ushered her behind the counter.

"I'm Mel by the way."

After hours of training videos and almost breaking coffee mugs, Mackenzie was slowly starting to get the hang of her new job. And she didn't hate it.

"This isn't so bad Mel." Mackenzie smiled wiping her hands on her apron.

"That's the spirit honey. I knew you were great the moment you walked in the door." Mel smiled pinching Mackenzie's cheeks.

The bell rang, signaling someone had entered the store. "Can you handle it honey? I've got to get your paperwork all ready to go."

"Sure, I know where you are at if I need help." Mel walked back into the office area and Mackenzie turned to the customers at the counter.

"Hi welcome to Mel's what can I-"

"Hey you're Hen's sister!"

Standing before her was the young firefighter from Hen's unit. "Oh, yeah hi...."

"Buck." He said helping her find the name.

"Right Buck, sorry about that." Mackenzie laughed, embarrassed she couldn't remember his name.

"Don't worry about it, I didn't know you worked here." Buck said shoving his hands in his pockets.

"It's my first day actually." She smiled looking down at her hands, "what can I get for ya?"

"Oh uhhh how about a small Carmel macchiato?"

Mackenzie smiled and typed in his order, she looked up and saw a huge hickey on his collarbone. "Woah someone did a number on you."

Mackenzie laughed and pointed to his neck. Buck blushed and swallowed nervously. "Your girlfriend give you that?"

"No, no I don't have a girlfriend."

"Ah, you are one of those firefighters then huh?" Mackenzie winked making Buck look away.

"No just.. its uh complicated." Buck scoffed.

Mackenzie laughed and one of her coworkers brought over Bucks drink. "I'm just teasing Buck. Here." Mackenzie handed him his coffee.

"What do I owe you?"

"It's on the house. Plus I wouldn't want to keep you any longer. Don't you have to save lives or something?" Mackenzie smiled at him and Buck nodded.

"Thanks Kenz, I'll see you later."

Buck walked away and Mackenzie felt her heart flutter and butterflies erupt in her stomach.

Oh no, not the fireman she thought to herself.