Lending money

A/N: Okay I have one thing -PLEASE comment!!! tell me if you like it or not!!! It's the only way it'll get better!!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I looked out at the gloomy sky threatening to spill with rain at any moment, but it never did.  It had been like this for years: constant cloudy skies, maybe some lightning, but never rain.  Our little town, Ashville, was on a strict water course plan.  We had been forced to memorise it as part of a council project last year.  what fun that was.  The drought wasn't the only bad thing about Ashville.  Nothing EVER, and I mean EVER, happened here.  No scandals, no murders, no robbery even! The community was too tight for anyone to get away with theft.

I haven't mentioned yet, my name is Samantha Blake, I'm a grade 12 student at the West Midlands High School, which we have to catch the bus to every day.  It's a half hour ride and by 'we' I mean me, my siblings and all our friends and that's about it.  Oh yeah, there aren't many kids either in Ashville, mainly old people because of the good aged care services. My parents work at the old peoples home, that's why we live here.

Someone banged on my door suddenly without warning breaking me out of my monologue and I yelled, "Who is it!?" even though I already knew the answer.  It would be my older brother Ben probably asking me for something.

"Lemme in!" he roared.  I was used to his bad moods, but that didn't mean they didn't still give me a slight churning feeling in my stomach.  I quietly stood up and walked to the door slowly, not wanting to start a shouting match this early in the day.  It was only 8:30 and a Saturday so Mum, Dad and Cassie, my little sister, would still be asleep.

I turned the handle and stared into my brothers stone gray eyes.  "Yes?" I asked politely.  I could see he was boiling with rage; probably just been dumped and needed money to drink away the pain.

"I need 50 bucks," he fumed.  Now was the chance to mess with him.

"Aw, isn't little Monica happy with you?" Monica was the girl Ben had been 'dating' the past few weeks, even though it was more like hooking up most nights at a club in town then sometimes continuing back at home.  How I hated those nights.

"Shut up Sam and give me the money," He held out his hand expectantly.  I sighed and handed him 20 pounds out of my pocket.  " I asked for 50," Ben steamed, quite nearly literally.

"That's all I got, big bro,"  this might lead to trouble.

"Fuck you lesbian bitch," Ben muttered stalking away with the original 20 pounds.  I was relieved that wasn't too hard, otherwise Mum might've gone ape.

Just as I sat back down on my beanbag to emmerse myself in a romance novel, I heard a vehicle coming down the usually quiet street.  No vehicles ever came past on Saturday, especially this early.  Never ever in a million years.  In fact, vehicles barely came down our street at all except our car and old Mr McGregor's.  Oh and then there was that cat lady but no one ever talked to her; I didn't even know her name.