Real climax

Sam's POV

I woke unexpectedly to a loud banging on the other side of my bedroom door. I stumbled out of bed yawning and the events of last night came flashing back. Ignoring the door I ran to the window to see everything wet: leaves dotted with droplets of rain that hadn't fallen off the waxy green plants, sidewalks and roads turned a darker shade of grey or black with water; the scent from the half open window was incredible, something I had been longing to smell for so long.

The banging on the door grew louder and more frantic, and I reluctantly pulled away from the rainy scene outside to answer the door. I flung it open grumpily to be met with my worried mum and a teary Cathy from next door.

"W-what's going on?" I stumbled. Why would Cathy be crying? I knew she would be emotional about leaving, but why would Mum come to me?

"It's the boys, they're missing," Mum said and my stomach dropped. I suddenly felt as though I was going to throw up and my head was light and woozy. "Sam? Sammy?" Mum shook my shoulder gently.

"Uh, what?" I snapped back to reality, my head still spinning in both a figural and literal way.

"We're going to help look, get changed quickly and meet us downstairs." She and Cathy walked away from my door, Mum rubbing small calming circles on Cathy's back. I slammed my door and rushed to the dresser. I grabbed out a casual outfit - just denim shorts and a sweatshirt - and slipped on pristine white Supras before sprinting down to the living room.

"Okay, now that Sam is here, let's go through things again," Mum addressed everyone in the room: our family except Dad, Cathy and John, and another young family who lived in Ashville. "The Stuarts will look around here, Cathy, John and I will go out to close areas and towns, and Sam, you and Ben will go to the forest, just in case." I nodded 'okay', impatient to get going. The quicker we found the boys, the quicker I would be happy.

I burst out the front door and jogged down the street, Ben panting by the time he caught up at hte corner. "What? Can't keep up?" I taunted, "Well, I guess I'll see you later." I ran off again in the direction of the woods.

Twenty minutes later I couldn't see the road any more and was surrounded by thick undergrowth and towering trees. I knew this wasn't safe and that I should have brought Ben with me, but at the moment the only thing on my mind was finding the boys. I trampled over the damp ground, taking in the renewed surroundings. No longer were the trees grey and dusty, but exploding with colour and fragrance.

I ran a bit further, pausing only when I was out of breath. There was no sign of anyone being here; no noise, no movement, no tracks. Suddenly thoughts hit me like bullets. There were no human noises, movements or tracks, but there could be wolf tracks. And, what had Dad been going to hunt yesterday? And where had Dad been this morning? I back-tracked to a clearing; I was certain it was the one I had come to with the boys only days ago when they had properly shown me their wolfy sides. I paced around the entire clearing, but unless I had stepped on the tracks, there was nothing there. Then I heard it.

The earsplitting bang of a rifle being fired, followed by a howl in the distance, a terrified, pained howl, and I shuddered in fear. Not fear for me, but for the boys. Instinct pushed my legs towards the howl, rushing with adrenalin so I was barely tired. I was breathing hard and my heart was pounding out of my chest, I was sweating furiously in the dense air and my legs felt like jelly after so much running. There it was again.

This time more than one; a few wolf howls resounding throughout the forest after three more rifle shots. I pushed my limp body further and the excessive howling became louder; my head was spinning and I could taste acidic stomach juices in my throat, making me gag. I powered through until I caught a glimpse of white and grey - it was impossible to see any other colour through the leaves - and I stopped short of where I knew the boys were, probably in agony and dying.

An evil cackle burst onto my eardrums, making birds scramble from their nests in surprise. "Only one left," Dad laughed maniacally, "What are you going to do now?" he put on a fake babyish voice that just scared the heeby-jeebies out of me. "No one can help your little buddies, and soon you won't be able to either," his tone turned evil again and I shuddered in fear. Whoever was left whimpered in fright and tears pricked my eyes; I couldn't let them all die. "Say goodbye, little buddy." I heard the clicks of Dad loading the gun, and knew that I had to step in now or it would be too late.

I battled through the last few metres of trees imagining Dad raising the gun to aim, tears now streaming down my cheeks uncontrollably."STOP!" I screamed, breaking the bushes with the cracks of twigs snapping. "Dad don't kill him, please," I begged, running to stand between the chocolate furred wolf and Dad. "I-if you wan't to hurt Ha-him," I corrected myself; I couldn't let Dad know the wolf was actually Harry, although if I did tell him maybe he wouldn't shoot. "you'll have to go through me first!" I spread my arms protectively nad Dad just looked at me in shock, his expression soon turning to anger.

"What has gotten into you, Sammy," he raised his voice, lowering the gun and walking towards my trembling body. "Why do these creatures mean so much to you?" He came right up into my face.

"B-because thy're innocent; what have they done to hurt you?!"

"You know full well what they've done, Samantha Blake! They killed an innocent girl!" Dad sneered. Harry whimpered behind me, and I knew I had to hurry it up.

"But it wasn't them!" I screamed, tears staining my cheeks and soaking the already damp earth beneath me.

"And how do you know that?" Oh, shit.

"I-I just do; didn't you and Mr Stuart get that whole pack last hunting season, anyway?" Dad seemed a little taken aback by this, realisation washing over him. I let out a small sigh of relief; Dad was finally seeing sense. But worry struck me once more when Dad's brow crinkled with thought.

"But what's to say this pack won't kill someone else?" his fowl mood returned. I laughed feebly, my mind sifting through ideas to save Harry.

"Well, I doubt this little one will do much harm on it's own, Dad." I stumbled, earning a quiet growl from Harry who probably did not like being called little. Dad sneered at Harry, but lowered his rifle with a sigh of defeat.

"Fine, but I'm keeping an eye out for you, little bugger." He turned his attention to Harry before disappearing into the trees once more. It felt great to know that he had no care for my safety and wellbeing whatsoever. I mean, who leaves their daughter in a forest with a wolf that could potentially kill her at any second!? But I knew Harry wouldn't.