The dance

A.N: The romance starts here people!!! Just a bit of filler as well...next chappie something big's gonna happen!!!

THE NEXT WEEK

Sam’s POV

The corridors buzzed with excitement as I exited my English classroom; people were busy preparing for tonight’s Annual October Dance.  I sighed, knowing that no one was going as my partner this year.  My lock clicked and Louis appeared beside me surprisingly, smiling like he always did when something big was about to happen.

“Hey Louis,” I smiled faintly.

“Hi Sam,” he replied and paused before continuing, “Um, I was wondering if maybe anyone was going to the dance tonight with you?” I shook my head solemnly, willing any remnant tears to stay hidden behind my eyes. “Oh, well, you see, I’m not going with anyone either so I was wondering if, maybe, you would, um, come with me?” I gasped.  Never would I have imagined that Louis of all people would ask ME to the dance!

‘Y-Y-YES!  Of course I would love to go with you Louis!” I laughed and threw my arms around his neck, resting my head on his shoulder.

THAT NIGHT

The hall was packed full with contented couples dancing away to some dumb love song, all in fancy dresses and suits.  And here I was, standing completely alone in the makeshift romantic garden in my nicest dress and heels.  I pulled my iPhone 3 from my bag and checked the time: 8:03.  Bugger-it, Louis wouldn’t come now.  Why would he? I couldn’t believe he had stood me up like that! I had really trusted that he would come, but then again who would go to the dance with some ugly fat chick? Way to go, Sam I thought to myself.

Putting away the purple covered phone I stared up at the bright full moon and let tears ruin my delicate makeup.

Louis' POV

I paced frantically around the living room; how could I have been so stupid?!  Tonight was the full moon and I had promised Sam I'd go to the dance with her!  Liam, Zayn and Harry had already gone out to the woods, but I was still reluctant after the attack a week ago so Niall stayed with me.

You're prabably wondering, why does the full moon affect this? I thought they could shift whenever? Which is true, but at the full moon there is this kind of tradition where, seeing as all werewolves get an urge to shift, all packs in the area meet in the local forest for a kind of truce night where there is no competition between packs.  In the last town we lived in there were at least five packs, quite a lot for a country town but I highly doubted there would be more than two, let alone any, in this area.

Sam hadn't texted me, which I was glad for, but I would have a helluva lot of explaining to do tomorrow and a family issue would not make the cut for an excuse as it had so many times before.  I sighed, finally giving in to the moonlight filtering through the curtain. 

"Niall! Let's go!" I called as I jogged down the stairs; Mum and Dad weren't home so we didn't have to leave discreetly.  Niall met me at the door in a rush and I slowly turned the doorhandle.  Now in the moon's full light it was even harder not to shift, but we had to get to the woods first.

THE NEXT DAY

Sam's POV

I woke to a sticky face and tired eyes.  I guessed I had cried myself to sleep last night, but I couldn't really remember.  My dress lay scrunched on the floor with my heels on top, and looking in the mirror I notice the makeup smudged on my face, which I quickly removed.

I slipped into my itchy uniform and grabbed my bag; after a shower and doing my hair and makeup well it was already nearly time for the bus to arrive.  I grabbed my bag and some toast and headed out to the bus stop, not bothering to wake the boys; they've lived here long enought to know the bus times.  Plus, I was in no mood to talk to a certain Louis Tomlinson at the moment, no mood at all.

I pulled out my iPhone while I waited for the bus and checked my emails: 'New mail from 'HS' - 10' it read.  Shit! Since the boys arrived I had forgotten about my online friend.  He was 17, the same as me, yet still so different.  I opened the emails to see the first one was from at least a month ago.

'Dear GirlyGirl,

I have rather missed this conversation the past few weeks;  my family has been so busy moving house and our internet has been dropping in and out all the time.  I am afraid I will have to cut this rather short, but I hope everything's good with you and your school life, as you expressed in your last message that you were struggling.

Yours sincerely,

HS.

He was always so formal in his email writing; it always made me laugh.  I scrolled to the latest email, only from two nights ago.

Dear GirlyGirl,

You haven't relplied at all in the past few weeks and I am beginning to think something has happened to you.  Please don't say you are eternally grounded for failing at school! As you can probably tell my internet connection has been perfect ever since moving house so we can talk freely now.

If you receive this please please please reply!!!

Yours sincerely,

HS.

Oh, so formal.  I suppose I should reply before the bus arrives.

Calm down Curly!!!

I'm still alive, well, I hope I am...because if I wasn't I don't know how I would talk to you!  Haha, actually I have been doing much better at school since these people moved in next door, a certain person has been helping me study.  Oh my goodness HS I am feeling soooo depressed this morning! Hey the bus is here! G2G talk soon!!!

Yours still emailing,

GirlyGirl xoxo

I hopped on the bus and from my window seat saw the boys running to only just make it on.  I giggled at their incompetence, but as Louis passed I shot him an evil glare, making him stop in his tracks behind the other boys and sit beside me.

"Look, Sam," he started, but I was in no mood to hear his pitiful story.

"I don't want your apologies Louis, I want an explanation," I cut him off bluntly.  Really, who wouldn't want an explanation, he hadn't even turned up last night!

"Well, you see Sam, last night I," He was lost for words, probably making up some petty excuse in that pea sized brain of his, covered by that smooth chocolate hair and those ocean blue eyes, that tanned skin and - NO! I couldn't be losing myself to dreamy thoughts while I was still mad with him!

"My grandfather died last night, Sam," Louis wouldn't meet my eyes and I knew immediately that he couldn't be lying.  "I-it was j-just s-s-so suddne and he, he h-had a heart attack." With that Louis broke down crying his eyes out on my shoulder.  I looked over at the boys for help, but even they were red eyed and teary, huddled in their little group at the back of the bus. "Y-you probably don't want me here," Louis stuttered and made to go to the boys, but I grabbed his wrist as he walked away.

"No! Louis, stay here and let me give you a hug. Last night doesn't matter, really Lous," I held my arms out wide, the events of last night gone from my mind.  If my Boobear was so upset over something I needed to comfort him.  Just as I had him cradled comfortably in my arms, a vibration in the bum pocket of my jeans snapped me out of my fluffy moment.

Hey GirlyGirl, why so depressed?

HS xx

the new email read.  While still cradling Louis I replied:

It ws a guy, a school dance last night to be exact.  He didn't turn up, but it's all in the past.  Something happened to the guy last night too so he couldn't come, and he didn't have his phone, so it's understandable.

GirlyGirl xxx nearly at school now, better go.

The reply was almost instantaneous.

Yeah, same here, g2g talk soon!

HS :) xxxx

The bus pulled up with a sickening squeal of tyres and engine nad I pushed Louis off me gently. I grabbed my bag as he grabbed his and we filed out into the indirect sunlight of the cloudy day, although I could tell you instantly that there was no storm on its way.