viii.

" the kind of lost, that's like being found "

__

       The next morning, I'm awoken by shaking that is nowhere near close to being little Josh as the rocks are more forceful and urgent.

"Cassie," a deep voice enters my ears, "Cassie wake up."

I grumble incoherently, willing the person to go away. Another rough shake has me half opening my eyes, surprised to see Andrew above me and the serious expression on his face, that has me sitting up worriedly.

"What's wrong? Is everyone okay? Is Nolan hurt?" My half asleep mind quickly jumps to the worse conclusions, jumbling my words together also.

"Everyone's okay but we had another rogue trespass last night."

That wakes me up more. "When?"

"Last night, two warriors brought her into holding."

"Her?" Wake up, Cassandra. Stop repeating words. "Sorry," I mumble tiredly, "let me go get changed, wake myself up then maybe I'll stop repeating everything you say."

Andrew chokes out a laugh at that. "Alright, no rush I just thought you would want to know."

I merely nod already heading for the bathroom to have a quick shower and get ready. The sun was barely up, I note as nothing shines through the windows. A feeling makes me believe the matter was more serious then Andrew was telling my incompetent morning brain.

I prove myself correct when I'm placed behind the double sided window that all prison holding cells tend to have. My jaw sets hard, there was a girl no older than seventeen sitting cuffed to a dingy table. Situated in a chair, leaning forward however but that's not what has my attention.

It's the torn shirt, pants, the red crimson blood seeping through them. Her face was battered and bruised, my heart was constricting and tightening at the sight.

"She's hurt, Andrew." My voice sounds scarily calm.

"She's refusing treatment." He tells.

"Refusing?"

He nods confused also. "She won't talk either, we've been questioning her all night but we haven't even gotten a name out of her."

"She's scared, Andrew. Look at her." I quietly say, blinking away the onslaught of emotions, "does Nolan know?"

"He's on his way back as we speak, should be arriving soon."

"Do you think..."

"I have no idea."

A sullen silence falls over us. I suck in a sharp breath, "alright hand me the first aid kit and let me in there."

Surprising me, he doesn't even bat an eye, a first aid kit is placed into my hands rather quickly and he informs me he'll be right outside the door and there's people watching if anything was to turn south.

Which I doubted, but I simply nod at all the precaution amazed he was even letting me go in to talk to her.

When I enter the room, her eyes snap to mine immediately, wide and wild. It's like approaching a wild animal, cautious and slow as I walk on in not saying a word just offering a soft, kind smile. 

I place down the first aid box onto the table, being the only noise in the room it's set with a clang, before I'm opening it up to a bunch of antiseptic wipes and bandages.

I don't make a move to grab anything, instead I just stand there slightly staring back at her as she stares at me. Up close, everything looks worse and that's just the front of her, when I walk around to assess I suck in a sharp breath as the shirt is shredded with lined cuts.