04 - You're cool

Hi, Coffee guy,

I'm too awkward right now. I know, something's wrong with me.

"Thank you sa coffee," bati mo pagbalik ko galing sa counter, dala ang order ko.

I breathed deeply and willed myself to calm down. It's alright. I'm alright.

"Thank you rin sa pagtulong sa akin," I softly said while meeting your gaze but I immediately averted it because I can't stare at people's eyes for too long.

"Ah. This."

You looked at the note attached to your mug and flashed a grin. I kept my head low and my fingers around the mug handle as I gathered my courage to say it to you.

"Without your little push, I'd still be drowning in my own misery. So, I sincerely want to thank you."

"No need to thank me," bigla mong sabi kaya napatingin ulit ako sa'yo. "You should be thanking yourself for moving forward. And I'm glad that you're okay now."

Natahimik ako nang ilang segundo sa sinabi mo pero nang ma-realize ko ang gusto mong iparating ay napangiti na lang ako.

"Yeah. I thought it would take me a long time."

Ewan ko ba pero sa'yo ko lang na-o-open ang topic na 'to. Maybe because you were there when it happened. Or maybe because you're still a stranger to me so it's easier and less embarrassing than telling it to my friends.

"Depende naman din talaga 'yon sa tao," you added while taking a sip of coffee. "It took me two years to get over someone."

Nagulat naman ako nang marinig ko 'yon sa'yo.

"Two years?"

You smiled. "Yeah. Two years. That's why I think you're cool."

You said the same thing before. You said I was cool.

Falling out of love and naturally drifting away from each other is the most painful thing that could happen in a relationship.

I could still remember the words you said and that hit me hard that time.

"You said you were pathetic before but I think you're cool, too," sagot ko pero agad din akong nahiya nang sabihin ko 'yon.

You must've been devastated. You must've searched for the reason why it didn't work out, only to be answered with the fact that the person you love don't feel the same way anymore.

And being able to accept that is far from being pathetic.

"Cool, huh?" you chuckled. "I never thought someone would use that word to describe me."

"You are," ulit ko. "I think people who keep on moving forward despite the rough roads and painful journeys they've been are strong. And that kind of strength is cool."

After saying that line, you stared at me for a few seconds and I had to shift my gaze to avoid yours. When I glanced back, you were already smiling.

"I see. Thank you for saying that."

I smiled back and we both drank our coffees, enjoying the brief silence between us. It's been a while since I felt this kind of comfort with someone. We can talk about life and love in a conceptual level without getting too personal.

Ironically, I felt it with a stranger. With you.

And maybe, it's exactly because of that.

Slowly getting comfortable,

W.