January 4th 1947

January 4th 1947

I have placed flyers around the town for expressions of interest in my scientific study. I have not given much detail as to what I will be doing, but I have requested those with abnormal abilities or strange 'diseases'. I have been waiting a few months for a response, but I'm sure some will come eventually. 

Whitley and I have spent most of our days for four months together trying to understand what he truly is. He has told me that he discovered his abnormalities as a child when his fathers shop burnt to the ground, he made it out but his father did not. After that moment, he tells me, that his family believed him to be possessed by the devil as only Lucifer himself can survive the fires of hell. Whitley showed me the singular burn mark that stretches across his back, that seems to be the only physical evidence of his story. 

To test this theory, I sat a singular candle in front of him and asked him to place his hand over the flame. He was nervous, he seemed to be haunted by the fire from his childhood. I watched as he held his hand over the small flame, he could continue this for a couple of minutes before he informed me that it started to hurt. I took note of the time and his experience in a separate book for later comparison. 

Today, however, I needed to test the theory but on a bigger scale. We moved to the fireplace where I wanted him to try and put as much of his arm into the fire. He strongly refused, but I told him we would get nowhere if he didn't. I tried to drag him back as he walked away from me, I needed him to test his limits, but because he was too strong I pulled a burning log from the fire and set his shirt alight from the back. I think he screamed out in fear rather than pain because as he ran out the back door, his clothes turned to ash and as soon as they did, the flames simply ceased. He was left standing naked and unscathed. 

He was furious, but it was for the sake of science. I had made an advancement.

My only worry is that I'm almost certain that the woman next door saw what happened.