(1) Serena's POV

I got off the private plane, slightly embarrassed by the very fancy mode of transportation. I would have normally been fine with just driving from Pennsylvania to New York, but Mom insisted I travel in style. It was awkward, considering the huge space whilst I was the only passenger.

I surveyed the area for Mom, and in little to no time, I did find her, dripping in diamonds and a designer pantsuit, with yet another new boyfriend on the arm. "Serena!" Mom gushed. She enveloped me in a hug, before turning to introduce the latest accessory to the family. "This is Johnson."

Johnson was tall, with a muscular build, and he was obviously rich. He was also a decent amount of years younger than my mom. But I wasn't fazed in the slightest. All of Mom's boyfriends were like this. Younger than her, rich, preppy. Usually with dark hair to counter our blonde locks. I smiled at Johnson and gave a halfhearted wave, not really interested.

Mom stared at me for a moment, then turned to Johnson. "Honey, can you find us a few coffees someplace around here?"

Johnson kissed Mom on the cheek. "Of course, Doll." I tried not to gag at him calling my mother Doll.

As Johnson disappeared out of earshot, Mom turned to me, leaning in close. "I'm hoping that, while you were away, you got the help and treatment you needed."

I arched an eyebrow. "Mom, that... incident... happened last year. I'm good now." I was a little annoyed that Mom didn't seem to understand that I was trying to put my past behind me. I didn't want to keep being looked at as the party animal. The rebel. The bad girl. The wild one. I didn't want to be looked at as if that was what I was. Because that wasn't me.

Mom focused her gaze on me once more, her icy blue eyes piercing my skin. "And Johnson... He will not be a repeat of Chuck, OK?"

I rolled my eyes. "Mom!"

But Mom was staring at me with pursed lips. "I had to confirm that you knew that."

I looked at her, irritated. "Chill out, my God. And in case you've forgotten..." I lowered my voice. "It wasn't entirely my fault."

Mom glared at me. "Serena, there are many things in life that are your fault," she whispered to me fiercely.

Ouch. Love you too, Mother Dearest.

Johnson came back just then, two coffees in two different hands. He handed one to my mother, and took a sip of the other. 

I guessed I wasn't getting coffee.

We all started to head to the car. Mom got in the passenger seat, and Johnson took the wheel, leaving me to go in the back. Not wanting to engage in conversation, I grabbed my iPod from my bag and listened to music while staring out the window.

About ten minutes later, I noticed that we were going in the opposite direction of our house. I quickly took my earbuds out. "Where are we going?" I asked, confused. Had we moved houses while I was away? Mom would have told me, wouldn't she? Probably not, considering she'd failed to mention her new boyfriend in her constant overprotective emails and phone calls.

Mom glanced at me in the rear view mirror. "We're going to the Hemmings' home for a welcome back dinner tonight. It'll give you and Jill a chance to catch up. All of your other friends will be there, too."

Dinner with the Hemmings? With other friends? That meant I'd see Jill again. And Theo, her boyfriend. Oh God.

Theo and I had an... interesting relationship. And not in a brother-sister or boyfriend-best friend way. The two of us had dated behind Jill's back, and went a little far during a night when we'd both been drunk. We had agreed to never speak of the night, or us as a couple, ever again. Two weeks later, I disappeared, so to speak.

This was going to be a very awkward evening. I had left without saying goodbye to any of my old friends, and sure, I had ruled the private school of Westchester back when I was here. But it'd be hard to simply waltz back into popularity. Hopefully Jill would welcome me back with open arms. After all, she didn't know about Theo... Unless Theo told her. But why would he? He'd get in trouble, too.

Mom cleared her throat, snapping me out of my daze. "Serena?"

I blinked. The car door was open, and Johnson and Mom were standing outside it... waiting for me. Oh. I climbed out of the car, taking in Jill's house. It was a large Victorian, and it looked the same as it did since I'd seen it last, about a year ago. We'd always had the best sleepovers there, with the rest of our crew, whom Jill sometimes secretly called groupies, since they were basically our entourage and that was all, Emory Walsh and Kai Landers.

Together, the three of us walked up to the door. My mom reached her hand up to knock, but before she got the chance, it was opened for her. We were greeted by Mrs. Hemmings. She had curly dark hair, and was basically an older version of Jill. "Serena, Ann, darlings!" she cried, enveloping each of us in a hug. "How have all of you been? Serena, how was boarding school?"

I was puzzled for a moment, before remembering the cover-up Mom had made for me. After all, it'd be embarrassing to have a daughter who went to rehab for alcohol, drug, and partying problems, especially in a family as high-standing as us. Mom can social-climb with the best of them, and being one of the richer people in Westchester makes her scrutinized. If I mess up, so does the perfectly crafted image that my mother has created. "Boarding school was... good," I finally choked out.

Mrs. Hemmings beamed. "Good, good. Now, why don't you go run along? I think Jill, Kai, and Emory are up in Jill's room. Theo should be here soon."

I nodded, forcing a smile. "Great! Thanks."

I began to go up the long spiral staircase to get to the room when my phone buzzed with a text. Who could be texting me? I hadn't used my phone for texting in quite some time. It was probably just Dad. After him and Mom got divorced a little over a year and six months ago, he'd been trying to reach me in any way possible. I had made it clear that I didn't want to talk to him. However, against my better judgement, I sighed and checked my phone anyway.

Welcome back, Serena! I've certainly missed you tons! Now that you're back, I think it's time to share some secrets. I know a few about you... such as where you really were instead of boarding school. Oh, and try and keep your cool around Johnson... I know how much you like older men... or taken men, for that matter.

What the heck? I stared at my phone in disbelief. I checked the number... it said UNKNOWN. Who was this person, and how could they know all these things about me? How did they find out about... Everything?

Suddenly, a door creaked open. "Serena?"