Chapter 1

You brushed the dust of the record as you removed it from the carboard box on the counter beside you. Eagles - Hotel California you typed into the computer system. After a quick inspection of the record sleeve, you slapped a price sticker on it. Eight dollars should be more than enough. The jacket was ripped along the edges, and there appeared to be a stain in the upper corner. It was easy to tell that whoever owned this album was not an avid record collector.

Working at a record store had its perks. You got to look at all the new arrivals before they were out on the shelf. You also got to make your schedule which was nice, especially since you have an almost 2-year-old at home. But a flexible schedule and free records meant the pay wasn't that great. Several times you considered getting a second job at the restaurant down the road from your apartment building. But life was so hectic already you barely had time for another job even though you desperately needed the money.

The sound of the bell above the door broke you from your thoughts. "Welcome to Record Holders; my name is Y/N is there anything I can help you find today?" You barely looked up from the screen as you spoke the same monotonous line you said every time someone entered the store. "No thanks, I'm just here to browse." The person responded.

It was the sound of his voice that made you snap your head from the computer screen to the doorway. You'd recognize that voice anywhere. "Danny?" You spoke, taking in the sight of the guy you haven't seen since graduation over two years ago. His hair had gotten longer, and he bulked up a little, especially in his arms but other than that he looked exactly the same. "Y/N, I didn't know you worked here," Danny said as he made his way over to the counter.

"Yeah, I started a little over a year ago." You smiled up at him.

"Needed some extra spending money for when you're away at school, huh?"

"I guess you could say that." You laughed nervously. You did need the money but it wasn't for school anymore.

"Are you still at Michigan State?" He asked.

"Um no. Not anymore."

"that's cool. Did you transfer somewhere else?"

"No. I-I quit." You stuttered.

"Oh, that's too bad. You always talked about being a doctor and taking care of children, especially babies."

"Yeah, well, things come up and plans change," you spoke. You didn't know how to tell Danny that what came up was your daughter. "How's the band doing? I know you've been touring more. It's all anyone talks about here." You attempted to change the subject. Any way to get the conversation away from you.

"It's going really well. A bit exhausting but I wouldn't want to be doing anything else." He smiled. God you've always loved that smile.

You've known Danny since you were in Kindergarten. The two of you were inseparable, and as you got older, many people use to joke around that the two of you would end up together. Danny used to sneak you into bars when they would play and after the show was over you would crash at his house drinking beers and listening to whatever record the two of you were obsessing over at the moment. But during your senior year him and the Kiszka's started taking their band more seriously, often missing days at a time to do small tours.

After graduation the band really took off and you almost never saw Danny anymore. It was hard at first not seeing your best friend every day but once you started college you made new ones. Then everything happened that brought you back home and led you face to face with those eyes again. Most people would say they were just brown but they're not. They're mahogany wood with specks of honey. They remind you of nature, something subtle, but beautiful in every season.

Danny cleared his throat catching my attention. "So, what have you been up to lately?

"Not much honestly. I've just been working here." You shifted nervously on your stool.

"Are you looking for a certain record? We just got new ones; I didn't even get a chance to put them out yet. Do you want to look at them?" You pushed the box next to you in front of Danny.

He began combing through the vinyls inside the box. "Do you have any Howlin' Wolf? I've been looking for his first album for months, but I've had no luck."

"We did have it, but I snagged it last week. Perks of working at a record store."

"Damn. I should have come home sooner." He laughed.

"If you want, you can come over to my place, and we can listen to it together."

"Really? You'd share your Howlin' Wolf record with me?"

"Come on Danny we've known each other since Kindergarten. Do you have to ask that?"

"No, I guess not. What time are you done? I can meet you back here at the end of your shift."

"I'm done at six." You smiled up at him.

"Well, okay Y/N I'll see you then," Danny spoke before turning around and leaving the store.

You were so excited at the thought of hangingout with an old friend again that you completely forgot you had to be a motherwhen you got home from work. 'Hopefully, Danny is okay with kids' you thoughtas you pulled the box back to you so you could continue entering all the albumsinto the computer.