Chapter 6

It had been a little over a month since the boys left, and you missed Danny terribly. He would try to call every night, the sadness evident in his voice if he missed Y/D/N's bedtime. Each night Danny would try to get away early enough to Facetime and tell your daughter goodnight. She didn't quite understand how phones worked yet, often reaching out her hand to try and touch Danny.

"I'm sorry I missed her bedtime tonight." Danny sighed over the phone. "We were working on a song, and Josh wanted to finish it."

"It's okay. You can always call tomorrow." You explained.

The line was quiet for a moment, the only sound being each other's breathing.

"I miss you. A lot." You sighed, running a hand through your hair.

"I know. I miss you too. And I miss Y/D/N terribly." You were able to hear the change in Danny's tone of voice. He might have only known her for a few weeks prior to leaving, but he quickly became your daughter's best friend.

"How's the album coming along?" You were excited to hear it. But Danny was adamant about waiting until the whole album was finished until you listened. He said the message would be lost if you only heard bits and pieces.

"It's coming along well. We have a few more finishing touches to do, and then it's done." The smile evident in his voice as he spoke.

"Wow, you guys really are double-timing it. I can't wait to hear it."

"Yeah, if all goes well, we should have the first single and music video out by mid-June." Danny explained.

"That's insane."

"And there might be a surprise on the album for you." You didn't have to see him to know he was smirking on the other end of the phone.

"Do I at least get a song title?"

"No, I want to see if you can figure out yourself. You have a one out of ten chance. But I think once you get the album, you'll know."

You looked over at the clock on your nightstand and noticed it was almost 11:30. "I should probably get going. It's getting late, and I have work in the morning." You sighed, not wanting to hang up.

"I understand. Josh wants us to head into the studio early tomorrow anyway. I'll try to call earlier, and maybe I'll actually make it before Y/D/N's bedtime." Danny spoke tiredly.

"I think she'd like that." You smiled. You and Danny finished the phone call by saying your goodbyes and hanging up. Setting the phone on your nightstand, you situated yourself in your bed and drifted off to sleep.

The next morning you were woken up by the pitter-patter of tiny feet against the hardwood floor. You rolled over to see your daughter climbing up the other side of your bed, clad in her footie pajamas, a stuffed animal in her small hand. Without even hesitating, you grabbed your phone and began recording a short video to send to Danny. He did say to keep him updated on anything that happened while he was gone.

"Did you climb out of your crib baby girl?" You questioned the toddler. None of that mattered to the little girl once she saw the phone in your hand.

"Daddy!" Your daughter yelled, reaching out her hand and taking clumsy footsteps towards the phone.

For a moment, you stopped breathing. This was the first time she called Danny, or anyone for that matter, daddy. She's been calling you mama for six months now but never has she said the word, daddy.

"Daddy!" She yelled again as she toppled over on the bed, falling to her knees.

"No. Daddy's not in the phone." You tried explaining to the little girl.

"Yes." Your daughter yelled even though you knew she didn't understand what you just said.

"You're silly. He's not in there." You laughed. "Can you say bye?" You waved your hand, instructing your daughter on what to do.

"Bye, Daddy." The small girl yelled as she opened and closed her hand, her way of waving. You stopped filming and quickly sent the video to Danny with the message, 'We have an escape artist.' You knew he wouldn't be awake yet, but this would make his morning.

Locking the phone, you set it on your nightstand again. "Are you hungry, baby girl? Why don't we go get some breakfast?" You scooped your daughter up in your arms as you made your way out to the kitchen to start another long day.

The morning was nice. You enjoyed the fact that your daughter climbed out of her crib and woke you up early. It gave you time to enjoy breakfast together instead of rushing. You even had time to talk to Y/D/N's babysitter when you dropped her off on your way to work.

You pulled into the parking lot of the record shop fifteen minutes early. As soon as you turned off your car, your phone buzzed in the cupholder. Grabbing it, you saw that it was a message from Danny.

"Ugh, my heart." There was a pleading faced emoji next to the message. Who would have thought the lively drummer for Greta Van Fleet would get so soft when it comes to small children.

"Someone misses you." You typed back

Your phone buzzed in your hand almost immediately after you pressed send. Only this time, it wasn't Danny replying. It was from Sam.

"Y/N, what did you do to Danny?" Sam's message read.

"I don't know what you mean." You replied.

"I walked into his room to tell him we made breakfast downstairs, and I find him crying in his bed as he stares at his phone." Sam wrote.

"Oh, he's probably crying over this." You sent the video to Sam and waited for a reply.

"Oh my god, that's adorable. My heart can't handle it." Sam replied with a crying face.

You didn't even have a chance to reply before your phone buzzed again.

"I'm going to show this to Josh and Jake." Sam double texted.

"You have fun. I have to go into work anyway." You wrote back.

Before you went inside, you typed out one last message to Danny. "Two more months, and then she'll be calling you dad to your face." You added the emoji with the hearts around the face and pressed send. You didn't bother to wait for a reply before walking into work.