Aisle 15: Private & Public

"How many more times are you going to ask if we slept together?" Ezra asked as he leaned against the freezer. "'Cause the answer's not changing."

"I know, I know, but–"

"For the record, that answer is still no."

"But, like, the way Vinny was acting..."

Ezra sighed. "Okay, let me visually show you how ridiculous you sound. Here's right now." He held up one index finger. "And heeeere's what happened in high school." He placed his other index finger right beside the first one.

"Isn't that proving my point?"

"Nope. See, the events that transpired in high school are so goddamn far in the past, my visual representation just stretched around the entire Earth before coming back to this very spot."

I rolled my eyes. "Dramatic."

"I'm telling you, I should've made a go of it in Hollywood." He took a quick look around, then pushed the flask into my hands.

We'd been drinking all morning. It helped my hangover while simultaneously making reality feel like a fever dream. Ryan had been in and out of Nadia's office all day– "official Vita-Mart business," he'd told me with an eye-roll inducing smirk– and was too distracted to notice my flushed cheeks and unsteadiness.

"What d'you think Nadia's talking to Ryan about? Besides official Vita-Mart business," I said in a mocking tone.

Ezra stroked his chin. "Probably describing, in great detail, every fantasy she's ever had about me."

"Oh, of course," I mused. "That's a professional way to talk to your employee."

"Well, one time she got drunk and said to Louise–"

"That she thought about you while she fucked her ex."

He sighed. "Lynette already told you, huh?"

"Naturally. How'd you react when you found out?"

"A compliment is a compliment."

"So you're saying you'd totally bone her."

Ezra folded his arms over his chest. "There's a difference between enjoying attention from someone and wanting to fuck them," he explained, narrowing his eyes. "Nadia's good-looking, that's just a fact. But considering my sexual desire for females is practically zero, I don't want to– in your words– bone her. I mean, it's not any different from how you got all hot and bothered when Lynette kissed you."

I had difficulty swallowing. "Like, uh, how?"

"You thought she was attractive... hence that stupid nickname, 'Hot Cashier Girl.' But you wouldn't have tried anything physical with her, right?" He took a drink, but his eyes stayed on me, awaiting my answer.

Actually, I wanted nothing more than for her to sit on my face in the middle of the employee party, I thought as my stomach turned. Instead of being honest, I shook my head. I didn't want to have this conversation now, later, or ever.

"Even though I'm never gonna hook up with Nadia, she's still easy on the eyes. And really, can you blame her for falling victim to my charms?" he joked. When he tried to sip from the flask, some whiskey dribbled down his chin. It reminded me of the water he spilled on his sheets. All for you, baby, echoed in my head.

"I guess she's turned on by men who lack coordination," I said, ignoring my quickening pulse. Ezra stuck out his tongue, then grabbed my sleeve to wipe his face. "Hey!" I protested through chuckles. "I'm gonna reek..."