Aisle 20: Wonderland

EZRA

dude. i'm so serious. i have to piss like a motherfucker

YOU

Can you wait like 2 more hours?

EZRA

...would you be able to hold a bladder full of piss for 2 hours

YOU

If the situation called for it, then yes. And this situation desperately calls for it

YOU

I have a feeling you disregarded my warnings and went to go piss

EZRA

don't worry your pretty lil head. i have a lie prepared. if your aunt asks about a handsome guy named todd c. lindquist, esq., who had to stop to use the bathroom on his way to buy a maserati, just go along with it ok?

"No phones," Ryan commanded as he tapped the back of my hands. "Tell your boyfriend you'll text him back later."

"He's not–" I stopped myself, realizing Ryan didn't know who I was texting and was simply making a par-for-course homophobic remark. "Sorry." I begrudgingly pocketed my phone.

When Ezra and I rolled out of bed that morning, there'd been a message from Nadia on Ezra's phone that basically said, you can take the day off, also maybe don't text me at one in the morning. Apparently at the height of his drunkenness, Ezra texted Nadia some phony story about "a friend who was just taken to the hospital," explaining that he wasn't sure if he'd make it to work the next day.

"Maybe this is The Car God's way of telling me I need to get my vehicle from that parking garage before it gets impounded," Ezra joked.

"The Car God?" I asked as I changed into my Vita-Mart shirt. "Who's that?"

He thought about it for a second. "Lightning McQueen."

I was so exhausted at work that the thought of Ezra's remark made me chuckle to myself. Ryan shot me a look. "What, you got the giggs or something? First you're sexting your boy toy at work, now you're smoking pot on the job? Princess, you're heading down the wrong path." He handed me a clipboard. "Get started on inventory, I need to grab another Coke."

As soon as he disappeared, I ran behind some shelves and checked my phone. The messages I missed made my eyes go wide.

EZRA

sos

EZRA

SOS

EZRA

SAVE OUR SHIT

EZRA

*SHIP

EZRA

ACTUALLY NO I TAKE THAT BACK

EZRA

SAVE OUR SHIT

"Oh, fuck," I whispered as I frantically typed a reply.

YOU

What's going on?!

YOU

Ezra

YOU

Ezra I swear to god if you're fucking with me