Chapter 15- Cassandra

Cassandra

Bill drove through the trees and down dirt roads, further into the woods about an hour and a half away from London.

Cassandra had opened a window, finally feeling safe enough to take in a deep breath and fill her lungs with the scent of grass. The world still spun when she moved too quickly and her stomach still did cartwheels at every turn, as they approached a two story wooden house.

"Pull over on the side under those trees. It'll obscure the van from birds view until we can move it," she said.

He nodded, steering the wheel and pulling up between two large trees. The sun was setting, its rays breaking through the trees and warming Cassie's cold, sweaty hands.

"Where are we?" Bill asked, going to open the door for the rest of the team.

"Damon's safe house," she said.

"Yeah, now I know," Bill retorted, helping Diana into her wheelchair and then slinging Charlie's arm across his shoulders. He still looked bad, but not nearly as bad as he did when they found him.

"The guy who gave us fake jobs and arranged that we get into the country unnoticed," she clarified, walking to the front of the house, the rest of the team in tow.

Damon was one of Scott's close friends. Scott had trained him just as he had trained Cassie and they stayed in contact. Damon met his wife during a mission and not long after, he left the field position in Phi to work from the UK as help for other Phi operatives. His knowledge had been essential for their mission and infiltration. Cassie shuddered. She used to think she could take Majesty on alone. 

The front door opened and a couple appeared at the door. The man was average height, in a button-up and slacks. His black hair was slicked back to accentuate his sharp jawline while woman next to him wore pink bunny slippers, an off-shoulder shirt and a black pair of shorts. They had obviously come from two different places.

"Thanks for meeting us," Cassie said, climbing to the porch and wiping her hand against her pants before extending it to Damon, hoping he couldn't see them shaking.

He shook her hand.

"I'm Emma," the woman said, her Australian accent standing out from the other accents they'd heard in the last few days. Cassie recognized it immediately. She had been speaking to Emma since the incident in London. She had helped them find their way.

"Please, come in," Emma said, before slamming her elbow into Damon's ribs. He winced. "I'm going to go make some tea," she said with a smile.

 The entrance hall was narrow, a shoe mat and a small mirror being the only decoration on the white walls.

Cassandra followed behind Emma, turning right into the living room. A small couch and some armchair faced away from the entrance and to a TV sitting on a shelf. Cassandra stood off to the side, while her team piled in and seated themselves.

Damon touched Cassie's shoulder and she slipped out while Emma offered the rest of them tea and cookies.

He led her by a flight of stairs straight into an office, closing the door. "What happened? I wasn't expecting a call from you at all and then I get this."

She had met up with Damon that very morning, before picking up Andrew. It didn't seem like it had been only a few hours.

She wiped her hands against her pants. "Before we get into it, one of my teammates was attacked and he needs medical attention."

Damon nodded. "Emma's already on it."

Cassie let her gaze get lost into the hills and valleys of the English countryside. No wonder they had such pretty grass when it rained all the time. Her throat had tightened at the memory of the man in the basement, the one she was sure she had killed.