Chapter 28- Diana

Diana

"And then you get?" She asked, looking at Chloe expectantly.

Her brows furrowed. "Hydrogen peroxide."

Diana gave a small, tossing the notebook away from her lap. "That's what I'm talking about!"

They were sat on Chloe's bed on a Saturday night, a chemistry book open between the two of them. Diana had struggled to understand how Chloe could be so confused by the formulas. To her, they made perfect sense. To her, formula's were a second language, a language she'd spoken since childhood. But for Chloe, it was foreign. Just as Swedish was to Diana. That was why she was not practicing to pronounce Din javla, while Chloe solved a binary solution of zinc and oxygen.

"Deja-vlah," Diana tried.

Chloe shook her head. "Try again. Also, is this correct?"

Diana cast a look on the paper. "You missed a little something at the bottom there," she said, referring to a number 2 under the O for oxygen.

"Oh, din javla," Chloe said, crossing it out and beginning to write once again.

"That's what I said! Deyan jah-vluh."

The redhead laughed, looking up Diana. "Okay, no. That's even worse. It's dean ya-vlah. Din javla."

"Okay. Din javla," Diana said, squinting as the words left her mouth.

"There you go," Chloe said at the same time passing the paper for Diana to look through her work.

She took about a minute, before smiling and nodding. "So, how do you use din javla?"

Chloe scratched the back of her neck. "I usually say Din javla idiot, which is like 'You stupid idiot' or something like that."

Diana reflected momentarily on the moments she heard Chloe swearing in frustration. She thought it had been the normal swears, but a realization hung in her head. She had been calling herself an idiot.

"Chlo?"

"Yeah?"

"How did you learn those words?" To say it to yourself, someone had to say it to you first.

Chloe squirmed in her seat, passing Diana the papers. "Is this okay?"

It wasn't. It didn't make any sense, but she didn't much care to correct her anymore, different thoughts running through her head. "Perfect," she said. "You know what? If I remember correctly, you owe me a romance movie. How about we take a break? We've worked hard today."

Chloe shrugged. "Yeah."

"Great." Diana smiled, wheeling herself into the living room.

"What are we watching?" Chloe asked, taking a seat in the corner of the couch.

"Dunno yet." Diana headed over to the kitchen to make some popcorn. "Any ideas?"

"Not really," Chloe had spun around on the couch. "Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

"You just did, Chloe."

"Right. I was thinking about everything, how I'm here and all that. I realized I don't really know much about Snakehead or Phi, like the past stuff."

Diana returned to the couch, passing the bowl to Chloe and took the remote off the armrest. "Okay," she said. "Anything specific you want me to tell you about?"

Chloe shrugged again. "I was just thinking, nothing serious really. When we had that meeting with Snakehead, I found him scary. The tattoo and all."