02 | The (Wedding) Gift of Life

[U N E D I T E D]

[U N E D I T E D]

Lucas spun his keys in his hand as he led Skye into his sister's house.

"You're back!" A feminine voice called out from the kitchen. Lucas could hear the clicks of his dear sister's heels as he bent over to unhook Skye's leash.

Skye bounded over to her owner, affectionately barking and wagging her tail as Vanessa rubbed her cheeks, "So how was the appointment? Is Skye okay?"

"Oh, Skye's fine. More than fine actually."

"She is? What did Zea say?"

Lucas cleared his throat, unsure of how to break the news of Skye's pregnancy to his sister. After witnessing countless of anxious, pregnant women in the hospital breaking the news to their significant other and/or family, he could only assume that this is what it's like to be in their shoes.

He reached up to rub the back of his neck, "Uhm, alright. Skye here has basically had her honeymoon before you had yours."

Vanessa scrunched her face and looked up at her older brother, "Huh?"

"Skye has a few wedding gifts for you."

"Wedding gifts? What are you on about?"

"Yes, wedding gifts," Lucas repeated slowly, nodding his head, "A whole litter of wedding gifts."

"Litter?"

Lucas couldn't help but laugh as he saw his sister's eyes widen in realisation. She looked back and forth between him and Skye, gesturing silently. She was at an absolute loss of words.

"H-How?!" Vanessa snapped her head to make eye contact with her dog, holding her face between her palms, "When?"

Sliding his hands into his pockets, Lucas shrugged, "I don't know. Dr Holson said Skye was about three weeks pregnant."

"Three weeks? But three weeks ago I was with her the whole time, aside from Wednesday, I had my appointment and had Rick- Oh my God!" Jumping up to her feet, Vanessa went scrambling in search of her phone, "I'm gonna kill him!"

Vanessa punched the screen of her phone, the faint sound of ringing followed after. As she put her phone to her ear, Lucas was looking at her quizzically. 

He jerked his head towards her as he folded his arms. "Who's that?"

"Rick," she mouthed. Lucas' eyebrows raised in interest. Now, why would she be calling her fiance?

"Hello?""No, don't you 'baby' me. You brought Skye to the dog park a few weeks ago didn't you?"

Lucas could see where this was going. He probably should leave before his sister drags him into the conversation, "Hey sis, I'm just gonna head out."

Vanessa covered her speaker with a hand, "You're not staying for dinner?"

"And listen to you bite your fiance's ear off? I'd rather not," he said in a matter-of-fact tone, causing his sister to roll her eyes.

Lucas continued, "And, I have plenty of paperwork to finish since I have to take two day offs for you. Remind me why I have to stay the hotel again?"

With a glare and a wave of her hand, Vanessa dismissed her older brother as she continued scolding her future husband for bringing Skye out while she's on heat. Lucas ruffled her hair and gave a parting pet to Skye before exiting the house.

 Lucas ruffled her hair and gave a parting pet to Skye before exiting the house

Lucas sat on his desk, case papers laid out in front of him. He stared at the papers blankly, before sighing and picking one up. Most of the cases were of his usual patients, cases he was already familiar with and breezed through them fast. 

He stopped on a few occasions, these were the bewildering ones, puzzles he had yet to solve. With some cases, it was easy to say what's wrong, just piece the symptoms together and your puzzle was complete. 

But some were a whole other ball game.

Some required him to pick at his own brains on nights on end, sacrificing precious sleep. Asking himself questions, coming up with different theories and possible solutions.

In addition to being a cardiovascular surgeon, Lucas was also an attending responsible for three new residents. Not only did he have to focus on his own cases, but he had to supervise his residents' cases and provide advice and support.

Running his fingers through his hair, he looked at the remaining stack of papers in front of him. It's been two hours since he started, and he had a handful of cases left. He leaned against his chair, arms around his head and closed his eyes. 

After a few minutes of shut-eye, he reached for his cup of tea, only to find it empty. He got up to his feet, cup in hand and headed to his kitchen. As he walked down the steps, only the sound of his shoes echoing off the walls could be heard. This was normal to him, the silence, the emptiness of his two-storey loft home.

He was used to it, but, it didn't mean he wanted it to be. He admits that it does get lonely from time to time. Maybe he should get a dog. Or a cat. Yeah, maybe a cat.

He switched on the electric kettle and leaned on the counter as he waited. His thoughts travelled to the pretty, little doctor he had met earlier. A small smile played on his lips as he replayed their small interactions and banter. He thought of the way she had worked with Skye, her confidence, her skill, it was as if he was looking into a mirror, but his reflection was more female and only slightly better looking. 

Before his mind could drift further, the sound of the steaming kettle brought him back to reality. As he made his tea, adding the sugar and milk, a small part of him was excited about his sister's wedding. Well, more excited than he already was. He hoped that he would bump into her again, but for now, all he could look forward to was a stack of paperwork.

Poor Lucas.