| P R O L O G U E |

[ U N E D I T E D] 

It was a calm day in the A&E. There were only a handful of patients filling up the beds now that the day was ending. The nurses and doctors on call were enjoying the rare, calm state of the emergency room, taking their time to finish up their work before the change of shift. 

But the peace was short-lived. The distant sounds of sirens approached, both doctors and nurses got on standby. The sirens were deafening as the ambulance arrived at the lobby, its blue and red lights reflecting off the pristine white walls.

 The doors of the emergency room bursts wide open with a bang as paramedics rush in a half-unconscious lady on a stretcher. Her clothes were tattered and bloody, equipped with a neck brace as paramedics continued supplying her with oxygen via a mask.

"Woman, mid-twenties, was in the passenger seat of the car when a drunk driver nailed the side of the car. Multiple fractures of the ribs, possible spinal cord injury. Minor cuts and lesions. Pulse is low, but breathing is clear. Blood pressure at a high 130/80."

The doctor on call immediately bounds over with trail of nurses, eyes widening as she recognises the victim.

"Alright. Get her to Trauma 3. Nurse Quinn, page Mr Richardson."

"But, Mr Richardson is a cardiologist-"

The doctor interrupted the nurse with an annoyed groan, "Just page him!"

The doctor's voice softens, "Hey, hey. Can you hear me? We're going to take good care of you, okay?"

"Lucas..." The patient's weak voice calls out, muffled by the oxygen mask. She takes in a shaky, deep breath. "The baby..."

"We'll give the two of you the best care possible," the doctor reassures, hoping the worry in her voice isn't evident and forces a small smile.

The doctor allows the nurses to take and roll the patient into the bay, attaching multiple wires for the EKG machine.

"Is there anyone else? The drivers?"

The paramedic shook his head solemnly. "Both drivers are dead. The drunk driver died on the way over, due to internal bleeding. The other died on impact."

Before the doctor could even grieve, the sudden and insistent beeping of the EKG machine commanded her attention. The panicked voice of the nurse called out, "She's unresponsive! O2 stats crashing. Blood pressure skyrocketing at 170/100!"

"She's having a heart attack! Where is Mr Richardson?"

"He's on the way!"

"GET HER TO THE O.R NOW!"

R NOW!"