Caught

One week later in Birmingham Polly Gray was walking down Watery Lane. It was was her turn to open up the betting den that day. As Polly opened the door she was met with a pile of letters on the floor. Without thinking she picked the letters up and began to place them at peoples desks. Polly was nearly finished going through the letters when she came across one addressed to Michael. The envelope wasn't an ordinary envelope, it had a sunflower on it. Although she wanted to Polly wasn't going to open her sons mail. So, she walked over to Michael's desk and went to put the letter in the draw. She knew this was where he kept his post. Just as Polly opened the draw she saw a neatly hand written letter placed on top of everything. Polly knew she shouldn't read the letter but she couldn't help it. She placed the remaining letters on the desk, picked up the letter and began to read it. Polly couldn't believe what she was reading!. Her son was planning to runway with Alfie Solomons' daughter!. Polly knew there must be more letters so she looked into the draw again and found a pile more. She had to speak to her son.

Just as Polly was about to leave the office Michael strolled through the door. As Polly noticed Michael in the doorway she rushed to put the letters back into the draw but Michael had already seen his mum.
"Found what you're looking for mum?" Michael asked his mum while he stood in the doorway with a cigarette in his hand. Polly froze in shock as she knew her son had caught her.
"I wasn't looking for anything, but why have you been writing to Alfie Solomons' daughter?" Polly fired back at Michael. Michael didn't know what to say. He knew he had to be honest with his mum if he wanted to be with Valarie. Michael sat down with his mum and told her everything. Polly was shocked but at the same time she was happy for her son.
"What am I going to do mum?, I really like her but Tommy"
"I tell you what we're going to do we don't say anything. We see how far this actually goes. Until then we don't tell anybody about this" Polly told Michael.
Michael just nodded as Polly walked out of his office. The young boy just put his head in his hands. After he was alone with his thoughts for a few minutes he knew Valarie should know that his mum knows.

Dear Valarie,
                    I have just received you recent letter but I regret to inform you that I haven't had the chance to read it yet. I am writing to inform you that earlier on today my mum found our letters and she knows everything. She has agreed to keep it a secret depending on how far this goes. I enjoy our letters and I hope we keep writing to each other.
All my love
Michael Gray x

Meanwhile in London Valarie was sat on her bed reading the letters Michael had sent her. The letters were scattered across the bed as Valarie picked up a different one to read. Each letter she read filled her with excitement and wonder. Valarie was lost in her own world but soon snapped out of it when she heard footsteps climbing the stairs. She knew her dad was making his way to her room to check on her. Valarie leaped up from her bed and gathered up all the letters. She then pushed them under her bed so her dad didn't see them. Sooner that she thought there was a knock on her door.
"You alright Darling?" asked Alfie.
"Yes thank you dad" replied Valarie.
"Can I come in?" Alfie wanted to see his daughter after a day at the bakery.
"You can come in"
The door then opened to reveal Alfie Solomons. He walked into his daughters bedroom and gave her a hug. Other than this morning this was the first time Alfie had seen Valarie all day. Alfie sat and talked with his daughter for a while then he went downstairs to make dinner.
Valarie sighed with relief as Alfie hadn't caught her reading the letters from Michael.