Family Wedding

It was a day that all of the Shelby family had been looking forward to ever since he announced his engagement. Tommy Shelby's wedding day!.

Not many people had expected Tommy to get married, not even his own family. To say it was a shock to the family was an understatement.
However, the family were happy for Tommy and Grace.

Although Valarie had met Michael's family many times she was still nervous about them, especially Tommy. Valarie loved weddings and was excited for today, unlike Michael who just wanted the day to be over. It wasn't that he didn't like weddings, he just knew that him and Valarie would be asked all day about their own wedding.

"Are you ready Michael" shouted Valarie from the bottom of the stairs
"We're going to be late"
"I'm coming, I'm coming" reassured Michael as he was running down the stairs trying to put his tie on.
"Oh just come here" said Valarie as she worried they were going to be late.
Michael walked over to Valarie and let her sort his tie out.
"I can't believe you're only just ready" said Valarie as she was doing Michael's tie
"Well it's not my fault you decided to get ready early this morning"
"Yea well you know I love weddings and I wanted to look nice for your family"
"You'll always be beautiful to be" reassured Michael as he gave her a quick kiss. Valarie couldn't help but blush. Even though they were getting married and were comfortable around each other Michael still had the tendency to make Valarie blush.
Valarie had finished doing Michael's tie and was putting on her coat.

"You better not do this on our wedding day" joked Valarie as her and Micheal walked out the door.
"Never in a million years would I be late to marry the love of my life ... plus it's it usually the bride who's late?" said Michael.

After a short walk Michael and Valarie arrived at the church and was greeted by Michael's mother, Polly. She walked straight passed Michael and gave Valarie a hug first.
"You were meant to be here 5 minutes ago" said Polly as she now hugged her son.
"Blame your son, he didn't start to get ready until the last minute" laughed Valarie. Michael just looked at his fiancée.
"Right let's go and take our seats" said Polly as she turns around to go into the church.
"I can't believe you told my mum that we were practically late because of me" said Michael as he linked arms with Valarie
"Oh shut up, it was funny" laughed Valarie as they entered the church.

The young couple took their seats next and Carl, Ada's son, was eager to sit next to his older cousin.
"Just think this will be us soon" Michael said to his Fiancée while looking down at Carl.
"The wedding or a child?" questioned Valarie
"Both"
"Well let's get the wedding out of the way first then we can think about a family"

Michael smiled at the thought of Valarie as his wife and the mother of his children. Suddenly music echoed through the small church and Grace was walking down the aisle.

The ceremony didn't last long and soon they were walking out side to get their pictures taken. In true Shelby fashion getting a picture of all the family was hectic but the photographer managed to get at least one good one before letting the wedding party go to celebrate.

The reception was to be held at Tommy's manor. Valarie had only visited a handful of times either with her dad or Michael and each time she got nervous.

"How beautiful does Grace look?" questioned Valarie as her and Michael stood talking in the hallway.
"Not as beautiful as you" said Michael
"Always trying to charm me aren't you?"
Before Michael could even respond Arthur had came up to them.
"Sorry to interrupt but can I steal Michael for a few minutes?" asked Arthur
"Be my guest" said Valarie
"Thanks love we won't be long I promise" smiled Arthur. Him and Michael started to walk away as Valarie tried to find Polly amongst the crowd.

Eventually, Valarie found her future mother in law.
"Where's Micheal?" questioned Polly as soon as she saw Valarie.
"Arthur asked to see him"
"So Tommy asked to see everyone then" said Valarie.
"Why?" wondered Valarie
Polly just shrugged her shoulders.
"It's Tommy it could be about anything" joked Polly
"True" agreed Valarie
"Oh well, have you and Michael thought anymore about your wedding?" Polly was eager for her son and Valarie to get married
"Not yet, I think the only thing I know is that I want my dad to walk me down the aisle". It was true Micheal and Valarie were in no rush to get married, they were excited but they weren't in any rush.
"Just let me know first so I can buy a new dress"
"Trust me Pol you'll be the first to know anything"
That comment brought a smile on Polly's face, she never thought that she would get along with whoever her son was with but Valarie was different.

It wasn't long before Michael found Valarie talking to his mum.
"What did Tommy want" asked Polly
"Just set some rules for the day" responded Michael
"And they are"
"No snow, no sucking petrol and most of all no fucking fighting" laughed Michael
"Well I can assure you that I'll be following Mr Shelby's rules" joked Valarie.

It wasn't long before they took their seats.
"What do you call an animal with a prick halfway up it's back?" asked John towards the other side of the table where Graces' family sat
"A cavalry horse"
Michael just rolled his eyes at his cousins joke.

The meal had finished and it was time for the speeches. As best man Arthur was expect to give a speech, which both Valarie and Michael thought would be funny.
"Go on Arthur" shouted John while Arthur was standing up
"Right um ... I'm not one for speeches"
"Sing then" shouted John
"I will later John. But, uh, I do, uh... I do have some words written down here on this piece of paper. This doesn't include everything that I want to say" Arthur started his speech and it was already going to shambles.
"Arthur, just uh... just read what we wrote down" Tommy just wanted it over.
"I will, I will. But... first... first a few words from the heart. This man here my brother Tommy, helped me through some of the worst things, helped me survive through some of the worst things"
Tommy then cleared his throat loudly.
"It's a wedding Arthur, tell a joke" said Michael. Valarie laughed to herself but hit Michael's arm.
"What I'm trying to say is that... my brother and the love of a good woman pulled me through that time. Now Tommy also has the love of a good woman. Her name's Grace. Like to Grace of the good Lord. And even though the circumstances of their union was tragic..." Arthur was cut short by Tommy who was quick to stand up
"All right... lets uh... Arthur. Let's raise a toast, eh? To love, to peace, to marriage" they all raised their glasses and Arthur ran off.

"Well that went how I though it was gonna go" said Michael
"Yea with no thanks to you butting in" muttered Valarie
"What it was funny"
"Not to him, he was shitting himself up there"
"Yea well.." Michael didn't want to argue on Tommy's wedding day.

Later that night everyone was either talking or dancing as the music was playing. Valarie's feet were already hurting her as she had danced too much. All she wanted to do was find Michael and go to bed. She found him talking to Finn and Isiah. As soon as Michael saw Valarie he put his arms out so he could hold her, she gladly excepted and lent into his chest.
"Tired?" questioned Michael. Valarie just nodded yes.
"Come on let's get you to bed" they both said night to Finn and Isiah and made their way to their room for the night.

As Valarie was talking off her jewellery in front of the dresser Michael was laying on the bed, already ready, watching her.
"You seem lost in thought" queried Valarie
"Just admiring you"
"That's not unusual at all"
"Can't a man admire his beautiful fiancée?"
"Well..."
"Actually I was wondering if you wanted to move in with me" said Michael
"What and move to Birmingham?"
"Well yeah"
"But my dad" worried Valarie as she got into bed next to Michael
"We'll figure it out. I want to live with my fiancée officially" Michael and Valarie were now facing each other
"Yeah...we're getting married. My dad will just have to deal with it" decided Valarie
"Are you sure?"
"Definitely"
With that decided they went to sleep with a smile on their faces excited to face the next chapter in their lives.