Apart

It wasn't long after Grace's funeral. Tommy had taken his wife's death like anyone would've expected him to, badly. Valarie was still in London while the Shelby family, including Michael, were at Tommy's. Valarie and Michael were both desperate to see each other but they didn't want to take the risk. However, as they thought everything was staring to calm down they started to be hopeful about seeing each other again. They would speak every night on the phone but it wasn't the same.

That morning Michael, Polly and Ada were stood watching Tommy through the living room window return after spending the night outside.
"He's back" said Ada
"Was he out there all night?" Michael knew he was but he still couldn't believe his cousin had spent all night outside.
"Every night since the funeral. Comes back in the morning to see Charles and feed the horses and when it gets dark he's off again" replied Ada
"He used to sleep outside when he was a kid" said Polly not looking up from the newspaper she was reading "Curly would find him in the pasture. How's the baby?"
"He asks for his mum at night. Tommy made a list. He wants to see you two first" said Ada
"What about John and Arthur?" questioned Polly as she wondered why they wasn't all being seen together. Suddenly Tommy burst through the door and without even acknowledging his family members and headed straight to his office.

It wasn't long before Michael and Polly were sat with Tommy in his office.
"How are the books?" asked Tommy
"Unaffected" replied Polly
"Up slightly. There's also been a threefold increase in the donations to the Shelby Foundation Charity. The Councillor suggested naming the new school 'The Grace Shelby Institute'" Michael just looked at his older cousin as he was worried how he would react with the suggestion.
"Tell the councillor the name 'Grace Shelby Institute' is acceptable to us" replied Tommy while Michael and his mother just looked at each other.
"This is a list of the other things I want doing. That's all" Tommy didn't even look at them while he said it.
Michael got up and walked towards the door but stopped to wait for his mum.
"Tommy" said Polly sympathetically
"That's all Pol" said Tommy as he clearly didn't want to talk anymore.
As Polly was walking towards her son Tommy threw some papers that was on his desk, he was clearly agitated.
"Well done both of you" shouted Tommy as Polly and her son left his office.

As Polly and Michael were walking out of the office they saw Arthur, John and Ada waiting ready to go and see Tommy.
"Right let's go" announced Arthur as soon as he saw Michael and Polly
"We've already seems him" replied Polly
"He wanted to see people in a particular order" added Ada
"I can normally read him, but he's difficult to read, so be careful" said Polly as she knew that his brothers had a chance to make his mood worse
"I thought it was a fucking family meeting. All of us together I thought" said John who was clearly annoyed
"John, he's grieving. To see everyone would be too much" Polly was quick to put her nephew down
"Yeah, well, come on John" said Arthur as he was getting up to go to see his brother
"Arthur we need him back. Sabini and Solomons have already sent condolences and flowers so it won't be long before they come trotting up the A1 like wolves" said Polly. At the mention of his soon to be father in law Michael stiffened. He didn't want anyone to think that getting married to a Solomons would affect the family business.
"Goon. There's a timetable" Ada said towards her older brothers
"Only good news" shouted Polly as John and Arthur began to walk away.
"There is only good news Polly" shouted Arthur. Michael just walked away as he had something that he needed to deal with.

Later that night in London Valarie was wondering when Michael was going to phone her. They had spoken everyday so far. Valarie would phone Michael but he told her that he was at Tommy's and the telephone would be in his office so, he would phone her. Valarie was sat in the lounge reading a book but she couldn't concentrate as her mind kept wondering to when Michael would phone.

It didn't take long before the sound of a telephone ringing echoed through the London townhouse.
"Hello" said Alfie as he answered the phone. Valarie was wondering if it was Michael but she didn't want to get her hopes up.
"Darlin' it's for you" shouted Alfie
Without thinking Valarie quickly placed a bookmark in her book and ran toward the phone.
"Hello" Valarie said as she took the phone from her dad
"Hello Val" answered Michael. A smile grew upon Valarie's face with the sound of Michael's voice.
"I'm sorry it's late but I had to sort things out with Tommy first" apologised Micheal. He sounded like he had been drinking to Valarie but she didn't care as long as she spoke to him.
"It's fine, don't apologise. At least we're speaking now"
"I know but still. Anyway I've been thinking..." Michael started to say before Valarie cut him off
"I bet that was hard" Michael and Valarie just laughed together
"Anyway I've been thinking I know it's short notice but with all that's happened recently I think that we should get married soon" finished Michael. The phone went silent as neither Michael or Valarie knew what to say.

However, that soon changed when Valarie screamed "yes". Alfie wondered why his daughter was screaming so he popped his head around the door but found that Valarie had a huge smile engraved on her face.
"You're not just saying this because you've had a drink are you, you actually mean it?" asked Valarie as she didn't want Michael to feel like he was marrying her too soon.
"Of course I mean it, I proposed didn't I?"
"I know, I know. Well when?" asked Valarie
"How about I ask Jeremiah if he can marry us sometime in the next few weeks" suggested Michael
"Alright, I can't believe we're actually going to be married"
"I know, you'll definitely have to move in with me now"
"I know, I'll speak to my dad tonight about it all"
"Well I better get going it's getting late. I'll phone you tomorrow and tell you what he said" said Michael
"Night, love you" said Valarie
"Night, Mrs Gray"