Part 17

Zoey was a little nervous as she walked back to the house. Rick had gone to collect her from Carol's and she didn't know what was waiting for her since she left when Daryl asked her not to.

"It'll be fine. He knows he messed up," Rick said softly from beside her as if he had read her mind. He was gracious enough to walk her back home even though it wasn't too far from Carols. She chewed her lower lip and nodded before glancing to him.

"Thanks for talking to him. I was just making it worse," she sighed with a frown. They stopped walking as they got to her porch steps and she turned to face him.

"You know how he is. When he gets overwhelmed he acts like an asshole. It's why I need to keep him in check sometimes," he grinned wryly at her making her snort. She was grateful for Rick. It was clear just how close he and Daryl were and she was glad he had been able to talk some sense into him. She bid him goodbye before she jogged up the steps and slipped inside.

Daryl was pacing and she shut the door and looked at him warily. He stopped pacing when he saw her and frowned.

"Zoey... I know sorry ain't good 'nough alright? And I'll spend the rest of my damn life tellin' ya sorry if it'll make ya feel better. I lost my shit but I ain't have a right to do what I did," he rambled as he looked at her imploringly. He looked like he was fully convinced she would tell him to go fuck himself and that she was done. Because he was convinced that's what she would say.

"It's okay. I get you were worried. I don't need to tell you it can't happen again, but I do get emotions were a little high," she said softly as she gave him a timid smile. Relief flooded his body and she could see him relax. He was glad she didn't hate him. He'd fucked up again but once again she was forgiving him.

"Won't happen again. I promise," he said firmly.

He made good on his promise. A few days passed and as hard as it was for him to let her leave the house, he did anyway. They had compromised. She was happy for him to go with her when she left so he could feel settled that she would be okay. He still worried but being with her was enough to quell his deep fear so he didn't lash out again. Even if he was following her everywhere like a lost puppy.

They were outside at Aaron's house. Daryl was working on his bike whilst Aaron, Eric, Glenn and Maggie were chatting away. Zoey by his side as she asked him what every single part of the bike was. If it was anyone else he would have been annoyed and told them to go the fuck away. But he loved that she was taking an interest in something he loved so much and he found it endearing how eager to learn she was. Glenn was better now, as were the rest of them and it was nice for the six of them to just spend time like this relaxing and act like they were normal people in a normal world.

"Daryl, walk with me for a minute?" Daryl looked up hearing the voice and saw Carol. He wondered what the fuck he had to walk with her for but nodded, kissing Zoey's cheek before he stood up. They walked down the street a little before Carol stopped and Daryl quirked a brow at her.

"The fuck we here for?" he asked impatiently, his eyes drifting to Zoey who was now sat on one of the fold-out chairs smiling with Maggie.

"Because I'm worried," she stated firmly making him squint at her.

"About what?" he frowned, shifting on the spot. He really just wanted to get back to his girl.

"About you. About Zoey. This whole thing's ridiculous Daryl, you can't keep doing this to her," the look on his best friends face made him bristle and he clenched his jaw.

"Doin' what?" he asked harshly, his temper flaring.

"Locking her away. Now you're following her everywhere? It's not right, she isn't your property and she isn't your prisoner," she scolded.